Jim Schwart'z future

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ratt1118, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

We had better talent then than we do now. That much was for sure.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

One of the best posts on this board.
    :applause:
    No matter how talented a defense is it is imperative the team play with an attitude. The attitude has to come first. The talent can come later as players develop or other more talented players come in. But there has to be an attitude that the other team is going to get smacked often and hard. That attitude on defense will extend to special teams and even to the offense. When the defense is knocking guys hats off the whole team gets cranked up. This team is a bunch of girls on both sides of the ball.
    Fisher should take alot of the blame however Schwartz is obviously a numbers geek that got his lunch money taken from him at school.

3. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I'd like to see someone teach Tony Beckham to knock hats off. Or maybe we can get a coach that'll show Ena how to get fired up. What about Thompson? We'll get him knocking snot bubbles out of people. Coaching obviously matters but you can only do so much with little talent. Attitude permiates from the head coach not his coordinators. Though, I'm sure the foks on this board know more than every single other person in the professioanl sporting world including everyone in the Titans organization, ESPN, Fox Sports, Local radio and television, and everywhere else except for the pros right here. If Schwartz was such a weekness I'm sure someone who is actually qualified to judge football because they either played at that level, or coached at that level, would most likely notice. I've heard Neil Od' rip Chow's offense several times on channel 5 and I've heard Wycheck and Mark Howard both rip the Titans several times through out the year and I haven't ever heard a negative word (that didn't involve the hole team) spoke about Schwartz. Those guys don't know squat either, right?

4. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

Just another example of why stats are misleading. We were number 1 against the run because the O was putting up points early and often and teams had to abandoned the run to try and play catch up.

And Jimmy boy needs talent to succeed? He had Rolle, Dyson, and Schultzers in the secondary and our pass D was still average or below.

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Than why do they keep them? So they can mislead people?

And we were pretty good at stopping the run. That might have had something to do with it

So does every other coach in the league. I agree...

I'll give you Rolle but Dyson and Shulters were average at best. I'd say Dyson would be considered lucky to be in the average catagory

Haynesworth, Smith, Carter, and Kearse on the Dline is why teams didn't run against us. They couldn't. You can use the excuse about the O scoring so much but it's cause they had the ball a lot. Part of football strategy is clock control and that's how you beat high scoring teams. i.e.: Chargers over Colts. You beat them with the running game wearing out the clock and keep power offenses off the field. That's exactly the way the Titans were winning in 99' and 00'.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yeah, 3.8 YPC against us is really stone walling people at the line. 7 teams had the same or better averages.

7. So I guess Gregg Williams would have turned DeRon Jenkins and Michael Booker into pro bowl CBs? Or a rookie Andre Dyson? Or Perry Phenix? Aric Morris? Daryl Porter? My god our secondary was terrible that year...

8. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

Do you think they were as deep in either of those years as they were in '99 or '00 (which was one of those "once in a lifetime" years for any defensive coordinator, IMO. BTW, Schwartz also had responsbility for the third down/nickel packages that year.)

Gregg Williams only finished in the top 10 once in his years here....in that '00 super season.

I have consistently said that Gregg Williams is absolutely the better/more established coordinator, but if he's so foolproof and can always make the most out of whatever he has, why was the defense in Buffalo such a disaster his first year? Why did he build it back up through veteran free agency (same as in Washington) instead of relying primarily on draft picks?

I've also said before, I think if you put Gregg Williams here in '01-'04 he may have gotten more out of those teams. I think it's ridiculous to think he wouldn't have had some real productivity issues with the talent level especially in the secondary in '01 (and lack of depth in '02, also without Kearse much of that year), and in the front seven/secondary in '04, largely because of injuries in '04.

To think the Titans could've been a drastically better defense in those years if only Gregg Williams had stayed and been given the exact same players and the same very limited access to the free agent market...that sounds like Gregg Williams' worst nightmare to me, since he's not known for being real keen on youth-laden rosters.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree attitude permeates through the head coach and I agree Fisher is a little soft on his players. Fisher should expect his players to play tougher and more physical. However, the guys who need to light these guys up are the DC and the position coaches. We have no character on defense. Teams have no fear and why should they? Tank Williams runs a 4.5 40 and weighs 225 pounds. LT is even faster and weighs 220 pounds. Yet these guys are always back on their heals waiting for guys to run into them (girlie men).
    I'd rather have a guy like Washburn coaching the defense and although he might not be the brilliant X and Os type guy (joke!) atleast he would get in peoples face if they played like girls. These guys are getting out hustled, out muscled and out played in almost every phase of the game. In another thread I pointed out that the Bears were playing with a second and third string safety, a second string LB and the character of the defense didn't change one bit. I wouldn't care if we moved Bulluck to MLB and told him to try and make the tackle on every play. It is not the fight in the dog in the NFL, it is the dog in the fight especially when talking about Ss and LBs.
    By the way we are pretty darn healthy right now on defense so injuries are not a factor.

10. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

If Sirmon and Williams are completely healthy right now, then they need to upgrade those spots because these guys do not look like they're moving very well out there post-ACL surgery.

And while I still think getting Lamont Thompson on the cheap was an excellent value given all they had to pay was base salary on his original deal, he has done nothing this year to justify the money they're planning on paying him. He may be a better backup than he is a starter, but I don't necessarily believe that's all on the Titans coaches, unless you also believe Marvin Lewis and the Bengals staff don't get the most out of their guys.

You start two rookie corners, you are going to have some tough days. You have weakness in pure coverage skills at MLB (Kassell plays with a lot of heart, but he is what he is physically), SLB, SS, and FS, teams will find those weak links.

If these guys start going to other teams and tearing it up with new coaches, then maybe you can convince me that Fisher and Schwartz just didn't know how to get the most out of these guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar