Jim Schwart'z future

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ratt1118, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

Not all of us think the talent has always been poor/inexperienced, because some of us didn't exactly have huge problems with the way the defense performed in '02 (especially with some new blood at S getting more settled as the year went on) and '03.

But this was the starting lineup on opening day in '02:

Kevin Carter, John Thornton, Henry Ford (later replaced by Haynesworth), Jevon Kearse (later replaced by Carlos Hall), Peter Sirmon, Randall Godfrey, Keith Bulluck, Andre Dyson, Samari Rolle, Tank Williams, Lance Schulters.

In '03, Thornton was replaced by Robaire Smith and Godfrey by Rocky Calmus (once he was healthy after the preseason hamstring, with Brad Kassell the backup).

Since '03, they've lost over 60% of their preferred starting lineup. Two of the remaining four starters have since suffered torn ACLs. Just since 2003. I don't know how people expect them to maintain/get better when they are constantly having to look almost exclusively to the draft (because they didn't have much/any money to spend elsewhere) not just to add depth, but to rebuild the majority of their starting lineup all over again as well as find backups for the guys who get hurt.

Overcoming that kind of roster turnover at the top of the depth chart takes a little time. It's as much the experience that walks out the door as the physical talent. There hasn't been a lot of continuity to allow guys to grow up together.

But theoretically, the pendulum should swing back some now, where they won't have to watch guys they like walk away because they can't afford them.

Rogers started the last three preseason games but did not start for the first few weeks of the season, after Harris got hurt. I think Rogers has played very well. I just don't think Williams is comfortable throwing rookies out there on opening day. He likes to ease them in. He didn't start Sean Taylor on opening day of his rookie season, either. And these guys were top 10 picks, drafted for a reason.

Williams does not relish throwing rookies out there, especially in the back seven.

2. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Which is it the head coach or the DC. If it involves the Titans you say it's the DC sucks, but when you talk about the patsies you talk about the head coach running the D, I'm confused?!?!?! I thought you wanted a coach that got guys fired up, and pumped up, and all that crap, yet, Belicheck is the quietest coach in the league. I think you just say what ever comes to mind just to make an arguement. Saying Bruschi wouldn't be any good on this team is retarded. You sould at least act like you have some sense.

The last time we had Kearse, Carter, Rolle, shulters, and Haynesworth all healthy at the same time we were very good on D. Look it up.

CB has been the same for the last few seasons??????? What the hell are you talking about. We don't have one CB other Beckham that has had any playing time on this team. Have ever looked at our roster?

Aside from Mason, every player you mentioned here doesn't contribute at all. Bennett is the worst #1 reciever in the league and everyone knows that so, again, more rubbish.... Offensive player that was a bust? Calico, for one. The Offense has been horrid all year in case you missed it. So, I wouldn't look to them for any answers.

3. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

The biggest advantage the offense has had over the defense the last 5 years is relative continuity, and not a lot of forced overhaul.

But there is a reason guys like Shad Meier, Jake Schifino, Darrell Hill, Todd Williams, Eddie Berlin, and Dan Alexander didn't contribute much on offense since being drafted in '01 or later. It's not like the offensive staff has a 100% hit rate in developing players regardless of draft position.

The advantage they had on offense is, in many cases, they weren't forced to play these guys because it's all they had. Meier was allowed to sit behind Wycheck and Kinney, and then split time with Troupe; Berlin, Schifino, and Hill would've had to fight through Mason, Dyson (for a while), Bennett, McCareins (for a while), and Calico to get on the field.

They wanted Todd Williams to develop; he didn't. But that wasn't obvious when they still had Miller, Hopkins, and Mathews manning the top three spots -- they didn't have to throw Williams out there. Alexander pretty much never made the grade, including after he left the Titans.

4. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Note to bigtitan: When you're one on one with a guy you can't hang with, you should introduce yourself. It's not like he juked him off the line. He ran right in front of him. A simple tap on the shoulder might have been enough.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

hahaha. i hadnt seen the pro bowl list up until a few minutes.

:)) :banned:

6. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

I was actually being sarcastic. I believe it is a direct reflection on the coach.

7. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Bennett was very productive over his first few seasons, not bad for a undrafted rookie. He also did pretty well last week. Unlike the defense, the Bennett and the offense are actually getting better (regardless of injuries). Pretty soon, you Schwartz supporters won't be able t say we lost because the offense couldn't score. Calico may be bust but he also wasn't a high draft pick. As a recall he was the last round. I don't have high expectations of defensive players drafted in the last round.

8. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Calico was a second round pick. Proves you don't really follow the team and you don't have a clue. Thank you.

9. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Okay so Calico was drafted second round. I do follow the team and that is not negated because I don't know everything. Even if Calico was drafted second round it doesn't change my opinion that wonderdid couldn't mold talent if it was loaf of week old bread.

10. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

You know what they say about opinions... I'm surprised you still like Fisher since he's the one that's actually in charge of the defense. Haven't you seen him with those head-phones on over there on the side lines. Who do you think he might be talking to? Possibly Schwartz or Chow?? And since he's happends to specialize in Defense I'd think he takes a little bit more of an interest in the D. I can gaurantee you that there is nothing, I mean nothing, that happens to that defense that Fisher doesn't have the final say so. That goes for practices and games both. That's Fishers Defense just like the patriots use Bilicheck's (sp?) Defense. That's an example that you used so it must be true for both teams.

You may not like Schwartz (obviously) and you may think that we should be able to win with 13 or 14 rooks and second year players (on Defense alone) even thought no one else ever has but I disagree. My belief is that you have to mix in young players with old so that there is some sort of balance, hence, the Patriots. Who I think we can both agree have been pretty good over the last four years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar