Jerry Gray praises corners

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Defensive coordinator Jerry Gray has watched his players in six days of organized team activities so far, with four more scheduled for next week. A minicamp is scheduled for June 18-20.

Without seeing them in pads, he can’t fully evaluate his players. Still, some of them have made a good impression so far in workouts.

“Tommie Campbell has stood out, he’s done a really good job of covering,” Gray said of the third-year pro. “I think Alterraun Verner has done a great job and Jason (McCourty) has been as solid as he’s been.”

Gray also singled out safety Michael Griffin and defensive tackle Zach Clayton.

“Everybody is out there busting his tail,” Gray said. “But we are in shorts, so you can’t really do what you get paid to do.”

Gray said rookie cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson, a third-round pick, is getting more comfortable but needs more reps.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Tommie Campbell won't do sh#t, Jerry Gray.

WHERE ARE MY DAILY MARIANI UPDATES

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Then get him more reps

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

We need to hope that Tommie Campbell starts to get going.. He's a 6 foot 3 DB with a lot of strength and pressing ability. He also might be the fastest guy on the defense. If Grey and Williams want to press more this year, Campbell will be an important piece to our D.

5. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Yup. Gotta have high hopes he improves into a starting corner for us considering the scheme. Otherwise it will be a rookie third rounder? Gotta think Campbell has a higher chance of success this season.

6. Clark

--------------------Griffin --------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------Pollard

Campbell -----Gooden----- Ayers ----- McCarthy ----- Brown---------- Mccourty
    -------------------------------------Morgan ----- Hill ---- Riopati --------------

Tend to think this is what the coaches would like to see in the nickel package. If there is a LB with the speed to cover it has to be either Gooden or Brown. I could also see Gooden subbed out for verner in certain packages or even Blidi dropped in as a spot nickel guy with size.

If the WR on the left side needed more zone style coverage verner would be subbed in over Campbell most definitely.

I could also see us go only ayers and brown as LBs in the middle and move verner to a middle Safety, subbing out Mccarthys injury prone ass.

In tight sets and base two WR sets I could see us going 2 DTs or even moving Riopati inside and putting klug as a DE. I think the Te sets are where the team wants to use more Safeties. Gooden would come out, McCarthy would become a safety.

It.... Will be interesting to see how many snaps Wimbley gets a game, as well as Mike Martin. I think in his spot duty last year, he proved he can play ball. And needs to get snaps as well. I'd be disappointed to see his role reduced because of other less proven players that are bigger. I could see a set of Martin, Hill and Riopati or klug being effective during Games with ayers and brown rushing the passer.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

He's the fastest guy on the team.

8. BCTitans

BCTitans Starter

Lol that's a 3-4 dude, not a nickel package.

9. Clark

Lol.... Somebody paid attention. But that's still what I expect to see more of in those situations.

There's different alterations in it as well but I think the three Down lineman is the biggest goal. I don't see why else we would go get the guys we did. Make players transition to other areas to better suit it like we are as well.

And we still hardly have the ILBs to run it as a run stopping package so it would be more for air based attacks.

10. BCTitans

BCTitans Starter

^^ to add to that. Golden is fast, but you can't possibly think that he's going to be able to stay with a slot WR. I think ideally they would love to have 4 CB's that they could bring in without much drop off.

Now, I'm thinking the reason you have put 4 LB's in for this package is because of 2 TE sets by the offense. In that case I see them wanting to go more to a 3 safety look. Both GRey and Williams have talked about them using 3 safeties a lot this year.

It would be HUGE for our defense if Campbell actually did come around this year. He really does have the prototypical body/attributes for an NFL CB. Hopefully his brain has caught up with the mental aspect of the NFL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar