Jaylon Smith

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Dangermode, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

That's not sounding too good. So repairable?

2. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Nerve damage makes it dicey. That's why Lattimore couldn't recover enough to play.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

Curt Maggitt was in a similar position as Smith...expected to be a high draft pick, but injury really sunk his draft stock. Would rather take him with a 6th Rd pick, if his medical prognosis has him playing early. He is every bit Derrick Morgan's equal as a pass rusher, so he'd be a great rotational player.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
  4. SanDiegoTitan

SanDiegoTitan Starter

Dude... Please

5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

??

6. SanDiegoTitan

SanDiegoTitan Starter

He talks about and hypes up a Vol every single thread especially Maggert. I can't escape his posts the past few days lol.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Dr. David Chao, an orthopedic doctor and former NFL team doctor, was on SiriusXM today and said Smith would be "beating the odds" if he came back healthy enough to play at a professional athlete level. Usually with peroneal nerve damage the goal is to get back to functionality, not performance.

The Smith fans, myself included, need to get it out of their heads that Smith is going to be scooped up early.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Earliest he can possibly go is a 3rd. To me that's pushing it. I've read everything from Foot Drop to nerve damage- I've also seen him do resistance runs and weight himself lol.

I'm no doctor, he's not gonna play for awhile if at all.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The problem with Smith is not so much the ligaments as the nerve damage. The ligaments will heal and get rehabbed and by 2017, be back to full strength. But the nerve damage is what the risk is all about. No one knows when or IF it will heal. Right now it's affected his gait and walking so he can't play. So the options are, it never comes back and he never plays a down in the NFL. It comes back to a degree but he never makes it back to the player he was and maybe is a backup player. Or, it comes all the way back and he's the Jaylon Smith we know and expect.

Lattimore and others are your worst case scenario where they never play in the NFL. Sean Spence is probably the 2nd option where it came back to an extent (after 2 seasons not playing football) but is he the same player he used to be?

I will be shocked if someone takes him in the first 2 rounds. By round 3, someone may think he's worth the risk. I'd have him come or have my Doctor look at him the night before the draft to check again if the nerve has started to heal.

The Titans do have one advantage. Due to Sean Spence, we have first hand knowledge of what it takes and what he went thru to get back and a more realistic idea of what they should expect of Smith IF he makes it back.

Would expect one of the teams with a lot of picks to be one that takes a chance on him.

If we trade back out of pick #33 and pick up a 4th round pick, that could be a spot the Titans gamble on him.

I love Smith as a prospect and my heart sank when I saw the injury. But he's a huge gamble!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar