Jason Jones #9 flex guy....

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why is that? I said "flex 9 guy". Meaning he might not even be a top 4 DT or top 4 DE. Just a versatile guy who can fill in at all the positions. He started at DE for us all of 2011. We could still draft a 320 lb guy to replace Marks.

If he beats out Klug for that playing time good for him. Klug needs some competition after last year.

You do this all the time. Here i'm talking about a guy who might not play more than 10 snaps per game, 5 inside and you talk about how he'll wear down. You know better than that.

Jones fits our athletic attacking approach with our front 7. With Ayers, Brown and our 2 Des what would be wrong with having a 276 lb guy with DE like speed

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Go back and look at our depth chart from last year on the line. Jones would be at worst our 4th best DE behind Wimbley, Morgan, Ayers.

He would have been at worst our 4th best DT based on how Klug played. Some would argue that Jones in his career here was better than Marks.

He is certainly a better player than Douzable who was signed to be that flex 9 type of guy last year and got hurt.

For perhaps twice the vet minimum you can get a guy who can play all the D-line positions and adds athleticism up front. WTF could ever be wrong with that?

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Yes but he was very ineffective at defensive end. Why not just get a true defensive end? I just see this value guy here when we should not be going for value. We should be going for true starters and role players. Not these 'versatile' guys that don't really stand out in anything.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You still don't understand what flex 9 means. I'm talking about him as a 9th D-lineman! In that scenario we could use our first 2 picks on D-lineman and he still could have a role. We rotate and play everybody! Until we signed Jarius Wynn we had no real depth at DE except journeymen who can't make nfl teams.

And role players matter! We have 2 starting DEs.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I disagree that Jones was not effective at all as a DE. He was not the pass rusher you have to have for a starting DE, but he did play the run well, got his hand on 5 balls and forced a fumble. He is better than Egboh, Dawson or Douzable. That's enough to sign him.

Jarius Wynn would be the next choice for that spot. He had 2 sacks for us and weighs 280 and could play that role. I like Jones better. We honestly should sign both.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I understand exactly what you mean. I am just saying that Jones is underwhelming as a defensive end, and we already have our small pass rusher in the middle. I think bringing Jones in would be a waste of time. He adds nothing at end, and does not bring anything we do not already have at dtackle.

I know role players matter, but in this case, I do not consider Jones to be a role player for us.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

this is true, and if we got rid of one or two of those guys, I could get behind bringing in Jones. We could do worse.

Consider my mind changed I guess. Congrats RT first time for everything.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We don't need to get rid of any of them they are not under contract.

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I'll take Jason Jones over any of those 3 guys not under contract anymore.

He can be the #3 DE and compete with Klug for the pass rushing DT role. We'll never see them both on the field unless something crazy is going on. Casey, Martin, Jones, Klug, and a bigger guy (draft/FA) would be very good. Add another DE and we're set on the DL with more quality depth and more athleticism/versatility.

10. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I always like him. He is WAY more versatile than Klug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar