Japan Earthquake/Hawaii Tsunami

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

Wow what ignorance.
    They have for decades had an under population problem. Birth rates have been in decline.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

The Japanese will be running bullett trains up and down their islands before Port Au Prince has running water.

They took a left-right combo with a nuclear follow thru, but they are still standing and they will be fine.

3. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

This nuclear situation is getting worse....wow, I am on vacation this week, and have been watching some of the ways they have been trying to cool the reactor rods. Seawater was a clever (but also desperate) move that bought a couple of days, but now, watching helicopters trying to dump payloads of water into precise locations from several thousand feet is just depressing (if it wasn't so serious it would be comical).

Every one of those 50 workers staying to fight this deserves the medal of honor....they are shortening (if not giving up) their lives to try to stop this.

Keep praying for the wind to blow east....if it shifts there will be a world of hurt coming to Tokyo.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

well they are supposed to be reconnecting the grid today, should already be done, then they can start using their "normal" procedures to run the plants.

I find it odd that they could not just run temporary pipes/hoses from the ocean to the reactors and use boats to pump the water to the plants. Its not like it would need to be permanent or anything and 1 load of firehose and a boat for a pump should have done the trick.

There has to be a reason they did not use such quick and obvious solutions.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I heard the salt water would make things worse somehow.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Don't know about worse in terms of meltdown but the salt water corrodes the equipment.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. CheeseheadTitan

They were pumping in seawater initially, which may have been done as you describe.

However, I am guessing that, after the Tsunami, the water had alot of garbage and other crap in it (would blind any filters but would also damage the pumps if it made it into the impeller), so it required alot of TLC to operate. After the level of radioactivity became too high for people to deal with, the plant reduced the number of operators down, and apparently they were not able to continue pumping/babysitting the pumps sufficiently to keep up with the heat rate from the rods.

Also, I am thinking that when the containment around one of the units exploded the other day, it actually cracked the bottom, making it impossible for that reactor to hold water.

You are right, hopefully when temporary power is restored they can start getting the fresh (filtered and cleaner) water system operational again. At a minimum this will reduce what goes to atmosphere. Unfortunately these reactors became very heavy paperweights (outside of someone reprocessing the rods) when seawater was introduced into the mix.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

that last part should have been the least of their concerns - IMO

9. OhioTitan

OhioTitan GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree more GoT, no peice of equipment is worth the human or environmental cost it could result in. If i could stop this now but destroy any functionability left in the plant or it's equipment, i would do it in a heartbeat.

10. CheeseheadTitan

No disagreement there....when their secondary power failed, and they could not automatically feed water into the reactor, any thoughts about saving the plant's operability ended, and it should have ended.

As I said previously, those 50 workers who stayed behind to fight the oncoming meltdown (basically like being sent to WWII with slingshots IMO) all deserve the medal of honor, regardless of how this turns out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar