Jake Locker is our Manning/Roethlisberger

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfantilidie, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Gorilla

Blue Gorilla will play Safety for food

Starting slow, I hope Locker is our Colt McCoy. The Browns actually WANTED Colt McCoy, as compared with Fisher not wanting VY. They brought in Jake Delhomme to serve as starter/mentor for the first few years (that didn't last quite as long) and wanted McCoy to ease in to the starting role. Now, he's playing well as the Browns #1 guy so far...

Once the Colt McCoy accomplishment is achieved, I'd like Locker to become our Aaron Rodgers. Learn from Hasselbeck for hopefully 2 or 3 years, then once Hasselbeck hangs it up, become The Man.

But if worse comes to worse, and Hasselbeck gets hurt, I wouldn't mind if Locker becomes our Big Ben, thrust into the wolf den before expected. I think he can handle it.

But past all the comparisons, I want Locker to just be Locker, and to be a Titans QB unlike any we've ever seen before. Form his own path. But take it slow.

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Ha Ha! I threw that s*** before I walked in the room!

3. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

One preseason game....five pages of thread on Jake Locker's coronation. WOW.

I am encouraged, but, the bottom line is that he played very well in a scrimmage situation against a defense that was playing very basic sets. This just tells me that he is a terrific athelete, which I already knew.

Someone said getting the cart in front of the horse....more like getting the cart to the moon while the horse is in the stable.

4. TwistedMe

TwistedMe Practice Squad

Really?

I don't think it is a coronation - just some people breathing a bit more easily.

When Jake was drafted, the #2 knock on him was that he "was inaccurate and 'you can't teach accuracy'" (Which by the way is the stupidest and most devoid of logic statement I have ever seen posted on any MB anywhere but I saw people parroting that line EVERYWHERE).

The #3 knock was that he was going to take a long time to learn the footwork and to be able to be able to step up into the pocket and/or operate from the pocket.

Those issues have nothing to do with the quality of the defense being played, they are about abilities or tendencies of the QB.

What WAS shown was that Jake CAN be accurate and that he CAN operate from the pocket. That alone is going to make a lot of people breathe easier since the success of a franchise essentially rises and falls with the quality of QB more than almost any other factor (besides coaching).

So I don't see praising Jake for doing a great job in getting much better in a short period of time, and realizing that many of his supposed 'weaknesses' were not innate but a product of his environment, as being a ridiculous reaction to a first game where he played pretty well.

Nobody is putting the guy in the HOF, just stating that things might not take as long as people first feared - and he clearly looks at least worth the #8 pick compared with how all the comparable rookies fared.

Anything wrong with having a thread pointing that out?

5. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

I would aim higher then Ben.
    I think Ben is a great QB but I think he goes off the script a lot and bails on plays without giving them a chance so he can try to make a play.

I think Jake should aim to be like Aaron Rodgers.
    A QB that trusts and plays within the confines of the offense but can make a play when the pass protection breaks down or when the design of the play doesn't work.

Jake's skillset and style of play reminds me of a cross between Josh Freeman and Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford but I think's he's a better athlete and more dynamic runner then all of them.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Jake Locker should aim to be like Jake Locker.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Blue Gorilla

Blue Gorilla will play Safety for food

...except better. :thumb:

8. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Fine...but the thread is saying that he is our "Manning/Roethlisberger" (see thread title), which shoots a little higher than your realistic evaluation here.

9. TwistedMe

TwistedMe Practice Squad

True but I saw an article in the TN paper online which was jokingly asking if Locker should start over Matt now.

I assume both this thread and that article are a bit tongue in cheek and enthusiastic but not serious....

Playful hyperbole, but still enthused about Jake's progress.

I think you can be optimistic while being realistic but I am really pleased at how well he did, though after watching him for a while I have learned to never underestimate him and never count him out even in close to impossible circumstances.

You have no idea the slag of crud he had to swim through at Washington, so he was probably shocked to not have to start running like h*ll the moment the ball was snapped - because that was essentially his college career with bad coaching and turnstile offensive lines.

10. gran54

gran54 Starter

I agree with the last statement and I want him to sit for a couple of years if he is able to because that's not only best for the team, but it's also best for Jake Locker. We saw some nice play from him in his first game, but that's nothing to base his future off of. He needs to continue to work hard and learn from Matt/push him also. I don't mind Jake sitting for more than just 1 season. He looked really good outside the pocket and made some nice plays, but games aren't won outside the pocket. He will get better and he has the work ethic to do so. And the #1 thing I love about Locker is he works hard and doesn't talk about being great, he talks about getting better and working for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar