Jaguars tinker with power structure, promote three

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky </em> <p>Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver Monday announced specifics of the team's front office shuffle, saying new GM Gene Smith has the final say in personnel while coach Jack Del Rio has the final say in on-the-field matters.</p> <p>Smith's title is General Manager/Senior Vice President, Player Personnel, a stronger title than James "Shack" Harris had. Harris was Vice President, Player Personnel.</p> <p>Here are the most important pieces of the press release:</p> <blockquote> <p>"The changes we are making will bring greater clarity in responsibilities," Weaver said, "with Gene Smith having final say in personnel decisions and Jack Del Rio having final say in all coaching decisions. Gene has been given greater and greater responsibility with this organization, and I am confident that in this new role he will be successful in directing our football operation.</p> <p>"...Gene and Jack have worked closely in the past and will continue to do so to make this a strong, competitive team year in and year out. Our goal is to win a championship and the moves we make are with that clear objective in mind. I'm excited for our fans because I believe we are ascending as 2009 unfolds..."</p> <p>Said Smith: "I appreciate and am grateful for Wayne's leadership and his confidence in me. Our challenge is to build a playoff-caliber team that can compete to win a world championship. We have a staff of quality people who drive the process, and the player personnel department will continue to work with the coaching staff to collectively accumulate not only the best players, but the best people who possess our defined character traits. I'm looking forward to developing a roster with Jack that will give our coaching staff a competitive advantage."</p> </blockquote> <p>In the three other promotions, Terry McDonough was named director, player personnel; Tim Mingey was named assistant director, college personnel; and Andy Dengler was named national scout.</p> <p>A quick look at each:</p> <ul> <li>McDonough has been with the Jaguars for six years, most recently serving as national scout. A veteran of 20 years in scouting, McDonough has worked in scouting and supervisory roles for the Barcelona Dragons of the World League in addition to the NFL's <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sfo" target="_new">San Francisco 49ers</a>, <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cle" target="_new">Cleveland Browns</a> and <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=bal" target="_new">Baltimore Ravens</a>.</li> <li>Mingey joined the Jaguars in 1994 and, like Smith, is one of 15 current Jaguars employees who have been with the organization for 14 years. Mingey has been an executive scout for the last six seasons after serving as a college scout for nine years. Previously he spent 21 years as a college assistant coach and a recruiting coordinator.</li> <li>Dengler was promoted to executive scout in 2008 after serving 10 years as a college scout for the Jaguars. Joining the team in 1998, he had four years of experience as a National Combine Scout and eight years experience coaching in college as an assistant head coach, coordinator and position coach.<br /> </li> </ul>

More...

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Keep choppin' there JDR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar