Jags pledge there will be no give-up

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky Whenever a team performs below expectations and begins to come to terms with the fact that it won't be playing beyond its regular season finale, there always seems to be a conversation about how well a coach's message will stick and about how hard guys will play out the string.

It's out of that context that Herm Edwards' famous "You play to win the game" press conference arose.

At 4-6 the Jaguars are all but finished. But Sunday, after their second loss of the season to undefeated Tennessee, they weren't big on the questions about any give-up .

Here's what two guys had to say about playing out the string and holding things together.

Quarterback David Garrard:

"Me personally, I'm definitely not giving up. We've still got a lot of football to play, but it's definitely dwindling. Every game definitely matters now. But I don't think the guys in here are going to give up. It's definitely been tough sledding this year, but we've still got to be fierce competitors. We have to step up every time we have an opportunity. You never know when it will be your time so any chance you get to play this game you should definitely relish it and meet the challenge. I know I will and the rest of the guys in here will, too."

Guard Uche Nwaneri:

"All that stuff the media is putting out there, that's not even how it is. Everyone here is family. Nobody's pointing fingers, nobody is saying 'We should be doing this or we should be doing that.' We're all on the same page. It's a matter of consistency. Those coaches were calling god plays, we've got to execute. That's what it comes down to."

Don't expect any differences in the way the team prepares or functions, Del Rio promised.

"We're always going to play to win and we're always evaluating," he said. "Nothing is going to change. We're always going to do that. We're going to play to win every week, starting with this week with Minnesota coming to town. No, that's not going to change."

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar