Jags may help TN out......?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That is true.

They also used a first rounder on a 2nd round selection.

Judge accordingly.

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Leverage is part of the equation and Gene Smith is who doesn't understand how trades work. That's evidenced by the first round.

Henderson did have three sacks last season playing on a garbage defense while often playing a position he had never played before, but that's beside the point. If he had one more... just one more sack and had been surrounded by talented D-Linemen, perhaps playing for a team in the NFC East, he would garner league wide interest.

Don't kid yourself. There's a reason teams are trying to sign Henderson from the very moment he was released. I never even implied he was in his prime. My intention is that he is better than some of the players we have, and he is.

I don't think we'll sign him either... but we should.

3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i am all for it. here are my reasons:

1 - again mainly, its all about JIMMY and what he can do to resurrect a former star's career (hmmm, how many times has he done this)

2 - @ 335 he replaces and more importantly upgrades our previous space eater (who was traded) big vick (although i did like vick)

3 - forget the old saying, 'you can never have enough dbs' ; in the pass happy league now, you need to speed up things, as if you give qbs time they will tear you. the new saying is 'you can never have enough DLmen' (refer to giants' success)

really, i think he can contribute. after the giants were able of toppling the undefeated pats becuase of PASS RUSH and not elite defensive backs; people are starting to take notice. and with a team that doenst blitz, having solid defensive line depth is extremely important.

4. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

Henderson clearly didn't help the jags pass rush at all last year, 14 sacks is abysmal. The titans don't really do "space eater" DTs. The Dts need to be quick, explosive, and able to rush the passer effectively.

5. Of course, you know way more about trades than an NFL GM... :rolleyes:

Well hey, sign him up then...

Yes, because he is still a decent player and they think he fits their defensive scheme...

Oh, I'm sure he's better than a few of our DTs in general. He just doesn't fit what we look for in a DT, which would make him less effective in playing the same role.

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Apparently, you didn't see their draft.

The point was that he had one more sack than you said he did, and one less than the much coveted Haynesworth who played on a much more talented defensive line.

He fits our scheme better than Haye. You really think Haye is a better penetrating DT? This is laughable. AGAIN, I'm not saying he would get six sacks a season for us. What I am saying is that if Tony Brow or Jason Jones were to get injured again, I would rather have a rotation that included Big Hen than a rotation without him. Plus he would be great on short yardage situations. Do you have an argument against that other than "he doesn't fit"? I've never seen someone take up for Javon Haye this much.

7. titanbaknedkly

titanbaknedkly Starter

I have visited this forum for quite a while but this is my first post so please bear with me. I cannot see why anyone would not want someone like Big Hen on the Titans. He fits a need. We lost a DT in Vickerson and how can anyone say that Haye is a better option than Big Hen. The guy is 6-7 and 335 so he will stop the run and still command some doubles which would free up our guys. Also with his height he does get some pass deflections which can lead to turnovers for our defense. He is more than just a space eater, which most people only think he is now. The Jags have just been using him that way for the past couple of years and combined with his failed business issues he just wasn't as focused on football last season but that is all behind him. Even with those issues he had a better year than Haye or Marks, even though Marks didn't start. I like Jason Jones a lot and I think he can be really good but the Titans are going to use him for depth at DT and pass rushing for a while it seems.

It is important to shore up our Defense and adding Morgan for pass rushing may have been a step in the right direction but what we must realize is we won't get to the QB every down. We need to be able to push the pocket back into the QB and make them throw over the top of their OL and our DL hands. Big Hen is good at getting pass deflections and so is Jason Jones. I cannot say that anyone else on our line is efficient at getting pass deflections. A motivated Big Hen, especially wanting to prove himself being back home in Nashville, can be a big boost to our D. If necessary move Brown to DE if need be if you want to start Jason Jones but Big Hen needs to be unleashed and the Jags didn't want to do that in their hybrid 3-4 D and wanted him to just take up space. We need sacks AND turnovers AND breakups, which Haye did not add any of to the D. Even on NFL.com they say he needs to go to a team where he can be used to penetrate and not just react. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-free-agency/09000d5d817d089a/Big-name-free-agents They talk about Big Hen after the 3 min mark at almost 3:30.

Just compare our D Lineman of Brown, Marks, Haye, and Jones and just think about Big Hen before the Jags started misusing him and his off field failed business ventures. Wish we could get Big Hen and Fat Al. Talk about dominant line. Both would command doubles and being as big as they are can deflect many passes and cause turnovers and havoc.
    http://www.nfl.com/players/johnhenderson/profile?id=HEN076396
    http://www.nfl.com/players/jovanhaye/profile?id=HAY082807
    http://www.nfl.com/players/sen'derrickmarks/profile?id=MAR262155
    http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonjones/gamelogs?id=JON448884

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. I did. And while they probably reached on their first round pick (though he could well be worth that down the road), they got what they wanted... a rebuilt DLine. In this case, one that would allow them to jettison the guy you are so interested in adding.

One more sack more doesn't make him a better penetrator.

No, he does not. I don't see how else to get through to you.

Absolutely. He's not remotely the run stuffer Henderson is, of course, but he's a better 1-gap penetrator today. He also hasn't lived up to his contract yet (which was primarily based on his 6 sack season in 2007), but he still is a better fit defensively.

I don't need another one. That's sufficient.

Where did I ever take up for Haye before this post? All I said is that his playing style fits our D.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Are you seriously advocating the Jaguars player personnel strategy?

10. I have no problem with the strategy of drafting a bunch of DLinemen. Especially not when their DLine was so weak. They basically had to rebuild it from scratch.

As I said, I think they could have gotten Alualu by trading down and I won't guarantee any of their draftees will pan out, but that aside I think their draft was fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar