Jags are forcing us to take Mariotta...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Bukafax, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

There's not going to be any trade. There's not going to be any Mariotta. It's going to be Winston or Williams. 110%

2. Cajun_Titan_33

Cajun_Titan_33 Pro Bowler

You guys are silly.

3. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I know you can’t tell much from them throwing in shorts, but was anyone else impressed with how Mariota looked just taking the 5 or 7 step drops while he was throwing at the combine? It looked effortless to me, like he had been doing it forever. I tell you who he reminded me of doing those drop backs and it was Aaron Rodgers. That really gave me confidence he won’t have any problems transitioning to a pro-style offense (though admittedly it’s a small sample size of work I’m basing this off of).

That gave me an inkling of suspicion that if he looked that good doing it at the combine that Ruston and Whiz might give him a second look. I think he is smart enough that he can learn the new system and Whis could teach it to him and coach him up. I’m putting Mariota back on my radar for the #2 pick.

4. 2ToneBlueBlood

5. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

TB is not taking Williams...Come on guys....lol

6. 2ToneBlueBlood

I agree. But I'm not totally convinced they won't take Mariota.

7. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Oh I agree, there is always that outside shot no doubt..That said, here is why they won't. Winston is a hometown boy (better for the fans). He ran a pro-style offense, which coaches/teams LOVE. He also made better throws at the combine than Mariota. Lastly, he seems MUCH more loose when being interviewed etc. He seemed way more personable and likable to me.

8. 2ToneBlueBlood

Well teams don't make their drafting decisions based on if someone is local to them or if they're personable, especially with the #1 pick. The only geographic advantage I see to them taking Winston is that everyone in the state of Florida is already familiar with his story and possibly desensitized to his off the field antics.

I haven't heard anyone say that Winston made better throws than Mariota. All I've heard is that they both impressed and scouts were impressed with Mariota taking the 5 and 7 step drops and how well he did it since he never did that in college. I have heard that Winston's football IQ is off the charts but also that Mariota was very impressive in his interviews as well.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Yeah I agree that they won't pick just based on location etc, but it certainly doesn't hurt. If we are just looking at overall skill, IQ, arm strength, etc...Winston beats him out. The only reason Mariota is in the same category is because he is known to have a great attitude/leadership, no off field drama, and great athleticism. Even the "Experts" such as Mayock said he still needs work in areas and that he missed some throws in the combine. Will this matter come draft time? Who knows....I just think that the BUCS want that instant impact to get over the hump, and taking Mariota from a spread offense with some work, doesn't give them that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar