I've settled on Cordarrelle Patterson at 10 if he's there

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TheSureThing, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

So by your argument, the only way to fix the o-line is take a guard in the 1st round?? Cause that's what it sounds like.

Someone had a post yesterday that was fantastic (wish I remember who it was so I could give them credit). But they added up the draft position of each of the pro-bowl guards and the average place they were chosen was the 3rd round. In other words, you don't have to waste a 1st round pick on a guard because that position isn't as valuable as another position you could take. Especially in the top 10.

Taking a guard at 10 would be like Donald Trump telling you he'd buy you any house in the USA you wanted. So you tell him you'd like the nicest 2 bedroom house with 1000 sq feet money can buy. Sure, you would have the nicest 2 bedroom, 1000 sq foot home in the US, but you didn't get the value of the choice that he gave you.

2. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

I wouldnt be mad if we took him. I do think he could be quite the playmaker but I really dont see him doing much this season. I know WRs dont usually hit their stride until year 2 but I think thats really going to be the case with Patterson. He's going to need to refine himself a lot before he can really become a big threat. That right there tells me that we wont draft him because the FO knows their jobs are on the line NOW and they dont have the time to let him develop.

3. edward nigma

edward nigma Starter

To get an elite prospect, yes you usually have to get them in the first round. Otherwise your hopeing that 6th round value player that you selected can slide right into the lineup and don't worry we can coach him up and we should be fine (see: Eugene Amano). How did that work?

We need talent upfront, no more beating around the bush.

Also, in that same post that you were referring to, it showed that first-round offensive lineman usually are pro-bowlers (tackles and guards).

4. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

There are pros and cons to both sides, you guys gotta understand that.

We take Warmack or Cooper: We now have an incredibly solid offensive line for the next 3-5 years, barring any terrible injuries. However, our offense may lack explosive playmakers outside of CJ, and the defense may also lack game changing playmakers. Our offense could also suffer greatly in the redzone due to lack of big targets.

We take CP: We now have a potential deep threat opposite of a hopefully healthy Kenny Britt, and an extremely dangerous returner. (bye bye Reynaud and maybe Mariani) We have a guy who can help Locker develop, take pressure off of CJ, stretch the field deep and provide redzone help. We could do some crazy stuff with Locker, CP, and CJ in the backfield. Again our defense will suffer a bit at the expense of drafting CP or a Guard.

Same for drafting a defensive player 1st round.. Our offense will suffer.

Now I get that there is more than one pick in the draft, but early in the first round is really you're only guarantee of a successful player. (and even that isn't 100%) Anything later in the draft, we just hope for the best. We have a bit of leeway with our early 2nd round pick, but we cannot go into next season expecting our 3rd rounders and later to fill the holes in our team.

We cannot fix the entire team in one draft.. we have strong needs at OG, DE, DB, and WR. You gotta pick one.. simple as that. There is enough depth at Guard to get a solid starter in the 2nd round.. DE and DB? Maybe not so much. But is our need for a defensive playmaker more important than a guard or WR? I dunno. I dunno who we should take.. as there are pros and cons to all options. Our Front Office has to take all this into consideration when making their decisions, and that's why they're getting paid the big bucks. They are professionals, so we gotta go with their decision and hope for the best.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Kenny Britt catches with anything but his hands more than anyone I've ever seen, it never bothered anyone on here as long as he caught it..

6. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

A lot of good it will do to have Patterson running down field when Locker has pressure in his face, see DT's find it pretty easy to get by Harris and Amano.

I've been going back and forth between Cooper and Rhodes and I think Rhodes will be the guy, but if for some reason the F.O. goes another direction it had damn well better shore up the interior O-line.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

After thinking about it for a little while I would rather take Justin Hunter or another bigger WR a little later. But if we take any WRs they need to be go up and get it type players. We already have a hopeful Derrick Mason in the works so we need to compliment that.

8. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

according to Sports Science this guy goes 0 to 20 in 2.6 seconds. Um yes plz.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

No one will ever be able to make the argument that the most unpolished WR in the draft is the tenth best player available in the whole draft.

10. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I'll pull for him if the team takes him, but he is scary. I've never seen a guy totally beat the defense to completely misjudge the ball and not get a hand on it more often than Patterson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar