It's Time for the Titans to Get Things Settled With McNair the Right Way

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

[​IMG]

That almost looks like a number 9.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Sketchy. Raiders just brought in brooks for that same reason, and have been talking about him all offseason, plus they have the young guy (Walter?) that they're pretty high on. Cleveland has Frye, who's looked good enough that they have no reason to bring in McNair. Skins have brunell, if they want a QB, they'll want a younger one. Chicago should at least be giving grossman another full season for a chance, they don't place enough priority on QB to pay for Mac when they already have him and the second year guy that started for them most of last season as backup. Jets have a lot of money tied up at QB already, no way they can afford to add in Mcnair. I don't honestly know a whole lot about this offseason for QBs in Buffalo and Tampa, but I think they're sticking with Losman and Simms for next season, respectively, and at least both have backups already.

Baltimore is the only team with enough need, interest, and cash to really put up what Mcnair and the Titans are looking for. Who knows, maybe one of those, or another team, has kept their cards close and will emerge, but it's unlikely at best.

3. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Raiders are really looking for anything right now. I have even heard the rumors starting (well it is making the news around here anyways) that they maybe moving to LA again. Raiders fans are sick of the QB situation and if you talk to Raiders fans they genreally respect McNair. If they want to run which they need to because what is left of the fan support is starting to die around here. It would not suprise me at all to see him there. They have been looking for someone decent since the had to put Toi in.

Cleveland fans say they like Frye and I think they do but the Couch problems they had in the past and the troubles at the position I am sure they are looking to get a vet in there for Frye. It could only improve his game.

Brunell is a goat in Washington. This is his chance or they boot him next season. They have made some huge pickups adn are looking to start there run and I do not see the coaches putting there trust in Brunell the play calling just does not support that view.

Penington should be all I have to say for the Jets. But a guy who just threw his first ball in almost a year the other day is not really a sure bet. Especially with the injury being a re-injured rotator cuff.

Chicago maybe but allot of people agree that grosman is not the answer. Is McNair? Maybe not but he would be a better answer.

Bills and Tampa I just threw out there cuz there QBs suck and McNair would improve there team but I am not sure if that is the direction they will go.

Like I said any of these teams I could see. Will they show interest maybe not but McNair would improve there team and some are itchy on the QB situation.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Kirwan was saying yesterday on Sirius he thinks McNair will stay in Tennessee.

5. Blazing Arrow

It would fit my Titans 06 Super Bowl victory predictions .....

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Nice article Jeff!

However, I disagree with several of your points. As a fan, I agree with them! We feel like we know McNair - respect him both on and off the field - and don't want to see an ungly end ala Eddie George.

But you have to look at this from Reese's perspective...his job is to do what's best for the team. He's not gonna give McNair his million dollar bonus to leave on better terms? That HURTS the Titans as a team rather than helps.

From a business perspective, they should either keep McNair, trade him for max value or release him at the last possible second...especially since we know he'd go to a team we'll play this season! It's not gonna make the fans feel better, but that's the business side.

And while everyone looks at the offense, it's the defense that really holds the key to this debate. If the Titans think they'll have a top 10 D this year, then it makes sense to keep him and take a shot at the post-season. Yes we'll have to cut some vets (like Sirmon) and that will hurt, but Sirmon and whomever else won't be here anyway 5 years from now when they are ready for another SuperBowl run if they get rid of McNair. If the D is not ready for dominance, they should trade/cut McNair and move on since even if McNair stayed healthy and played well, we can't win a SB without a top 10 D.

As far as upping the ante, McNair loses value to the Ravens the longer he's not on their team. Do they want to spend $10mil on a guy who won't know the offense for a while, could very well get hurt and miss the whole season, and just last year talked about retiring. It is very much in the Ravens best interest for this to get done sooner rather than later. If they're smart, they won't do anything for a week or two to see how the Titans are gonna play it. If the Titans were so concerned about McNair as to ban him from working out, they will wanna see if this forces the Titans to accept their low ball offer or just release him. If the Titans stand firm and welcome Steve back with open arms and announce he'll be their starting QB for this season, the Ravens will feel the heat to up the ante. Boller had his shot last year...they NEED McNair now.

It is also NOT in McNair's interest to have a season ending injury in training camp. First, no team will offer him that kind of money next year coming off that type of injury and his career would probably be over. Second, he'll lose any chance to start again...which is supposedly what this is all about. Lastly, he'll lose any chance at a nice hefty signing bonus.

It is in McNairs best interest to workout with the team and be CAREFUL. Come back as the team leader he's always been and put this mess behind him. If he does that, I think Reese will then get an acceptable trade offer from the Ravens and McNair will end up where he wants to before the start of the season...Baltimore.

Gut

7. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

Give Volek more credit than that. Sure Collins has been the starter for teams, but what have those teams done? Not much. I have a good feeling about Volek, though. If McNair ends up leaving TN, I could see Volek as a starter. He's 6 years pro and has been learning behind McNair for all of those 6 years. That's got to mean something. Of course, he will not go down in history as the best QB or be put in the HOF, but he will do fine. Plus, all of the things that McNair has taught him over the years will then be taught to VY. People say that if Steve leaves, the Titans will need a vet to fill the void. I say that Volek is that vet. He gave up a starting job a year or so ago to stay with the Titans. I say that it's the Titans' turn to give him a starting job. His confidence is through the roof now. A year ago, I would have said "release Billy for his own good so that he can go out and get a starting job." He's got one now. If the Titans start cutting other vets to make room for Mac, they will regret it by the 4th or 5th game, when Steve get's hurt due to an overwhelming amount of sacks and we are at 1-4. I'm not wanting to see Steve go, but I fear that his salary will be a burden on our now well rounded team. If there were no salary cap, I'd be saying keep Steve as long as you can! That's my opinion...

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

give me volek

9. Blazing Arrow

He took a team to a SB ...

Do not think that in an endorsement for the guy at all. I have put it in other post but if the Faiders can do better at QB so can we. Collins is a dirt word in the SF Bay Area. Oakland fans hate him and w/ good cause.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't follow you. I never suggested Reese give McNair a bonus. That isn't due until September and this should all be resolved well before then. At the end of this negotiation, McNair is either extended under a new contract, traded or released. The $1 mil will likely never come into play.

Keep McNair? They are unwilling to pay his $10 mil this season.

Trade him? I think this is where this is going but Reese wants to hold out for better then a fifth-round pick. Meanwhile, the team accepts an avoidable risk.

Release him late? If it doesn't happen in time to sign the rookies, you have to let Sirmon/Piller and others go. And Reese can't do a lot with any extra money when he has some talent available on the waiver wire as long as McNair remains on the roster. And, that risk continues as long as McNair is in camp.

I feel McNair gives the Titans the best shot at a playoff run in '06. The key is the OL and defense, IMO. But I agree with you here.

Right. But the risk remains though neither side wants them and esculates once OTAs and training camp begin. Which, according to the Titans, is why they locked him out in the first place and would keep him out until he reworked his deal, was traded or was released.

I don't think we really disagree much at all here. The entire basis for the one-week negotiation is if the Titans are truely concerned about the liability issues. If the lockout was all about Bud just sending a message, then fine. If there is a real concern, you find a way to avoid it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar