It's Time for the Titans to Get Things Settled With McNair the Right Way

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Jeff I've decided that you are actually bus cook

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Honestly, what risk did McNair have for injury to begin with? Some say that isn't an issue because a risk, however remote, remains.

So what if the unexpected happens and McNair walks into a door at BSP? He loses and the Titans lose because they have to then cut vets to sign the rookies and go without McNair in '06.

If the Ravens offer that, I think Reese takes it. But the longer this drags on, the less incentive the Ravens have to give up anything knowing McNair will be released in time.

You have to think there is something we don't know here. Maybe there's another team out there who might want McNair and they needed to wait until after June cuts to make a move. But something just doesn't jive in how this is playing out.

3. Ewker

Ewker Starter

There is no loyality between McNair and the Titans. If there was then this would have been worked out a long time ago.

McNair got paid good money for his work while he was here whether he played or not.

Last year McNair was talking retirement due to all those injuries, now all of a sudden he thinks he can play for 3 more yrs as a starter

If Baltimore thinks he can still play then trade him for some draft pick. You can always find a good 4th or 5th round player

4. Sledge

Sledge Guest

I think we should all get used to the fact that our starting QB in 2006 will be Kerry Collins

5. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I totally agree. If we thought we were going to lose him anyways which it seems we already are thinking, why not get a pick when we could have.

The only team I do not see a trade deal w/ is Baltimore. They know they have us and it is only a matter of time to wait it out. Now if another team wants to make a move on him I think those scummy birds push that pick up a round or two, if they truly want him or they get nothing.

The 5th round offer was a non competition offer. If no one else wants him we will take him now type of thing IMO.

There are a few teams out there other then the ravens that could really use a vet QB.

6. Very well written article Jeff.

Do you know how other teams treat their high-priced players? Do they let them work out at the team's facility or do they negate the risk of injury by asking them to go elsewhere? I was just thinking that it wasn't fair to Mac because we let him workout (with his high cap #) in the past... but I guess that's exactly what the arbitrator already touched on.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Not really. McNair wants to be the #1 guy and there really are not many teams where he could step right in and do that like at Baltimore. Even if he did find a team, like Cincy where Mac could play on a decent team for a year while Palmer gets healthy his stay would only be one year at the most and they would no longer need him. Baltimore is willing to give Mac the #1 job for the next couple of years which is why he wants that job.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

There is a lot better chance of getting something in a trade under that scenario, where Mac is not released until mid July than in the scenario you proprosed Jeff. The 1.0 mil is a good will jesture that shows the Titans are somewhat serious about Mac staying.

If your scenario is played out the Ravens have no doubt about waiting things out and all the renegotiations are is a dog and pony show. I see no way this dog and pony show makes things a whole lot better except both sides can smile and say they did the best they could when everyone knows the truth. McNair will still be seen as the QB who left for the money like EG was. As badly as the Titans may have dropped the ball on this whole issue nobody is going to care or remember the Titans part in this 3 years from now. What they will remember was McNair changed teams, sucked his last couple of years and went out like EG all so he could bag a few extra mil.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Maybe. But it accomplishes a number of things which benefit both sides.

The Titans don't risk the liability and can get the issue settled, one way or the other, before June OTAs.

For McNair, he gets the Titans best offer sooner and know he'd be released or traded.

None of the above makes any sense if the Titans are not genuine in their concern about the injury risk. Otherwise, they have no incentive to do anything until they need the money.

The diehards who come to this forum know the truth. You'd be surprised how many out there think McNair will be earning $23.5 mil this season and don't have a clue as to why McNair was locked out. There are a lot of misconceptions out there and I believe a little damage control would go a long way for a team who is 9-23. But that's JMO.

I don't believe that now. I think this is more about wanting the opportunity to start for another 2-3 years than it is money.

Like Oilers fan forgot how Earl and Bum were treated?

10. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I could see:
    Bills, Raiders, Jets (possibly), Washington, Chicago, Cleveland, and Tampa all showing legitimate interest in McNair and he going there for more then one season as a start in almost any of those situations.

If even one of those teams shows interest McNair’s value goes way up from a #5 pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar