It's Official!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by A Fightin'Titan, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Here is my point (and yes I realize Im not using A, B, or C because Im not 8 and Im more than capable of having a discussion without your guidance on how to answer questions).

The point is, if you take the last 11 games of last year, and the first 8 of this year, the Titans are 14-5. From a talent level on the field, I think that is overachieving. We have a very Young QB, who I think has tons of potential, but he clearly isnt great at this point. But that is to be expected. He is an unconventional QB in his second year. So his struggles have to be expected to at least some degree. Our WRs dont help him much, because they arent very good at all. Our running game is good at times, and bad at times, and our defense is very good with Haynesworth in there, but with him out look pretty average. So, basically, out of a lot of inconsistency, they still found a way to be 14-5 over a 19 game stretch. I think that is overachieving and certainly not mediocre. But I also think it raised expectations and spoiled us. Now, the team is coming back to earth and we are all throwing a fit. IMO, around .500 or maybe a game over is where this team should have been all along, and its finally catching up with them and thats probably where they are going to be. Teams have learned how to scheme Vince, and with our inability to throw the ball well, that really limits our offense. And its hard to win consistently when you dont have the ability to make big plays when you need them, and our offense doesnt appear to have that at this point. You say you dont agree with that, and thats fine. But thats my opinion. I think the the ending to last season, and the beginning of this season raised expectations and made us think this team was better than they are.

So basically, if you asked me in early September I would have thought this was an 8-8 or 9-7 team, possibly 10-6 with a couple of breaks. If you asked me after week 8 when we were 6-2, obviously I thought they were a 10 or 11 win team. So, I cant really answer your A, B, or C, because I dont know at which point Im supposed to be basing my expectations on.

I think the mismanagement of the cap is something you can certainly take issue with, with regards to the FO. So I dont find it unreasonable at all to think that mistakes were made there, and our front office was simply mediocre during Reese's last few years. From an organizational standpoint I do think this is a good organization, and I think they are getting back to an annual playoff team. I think just we are probably a year away from that, or at least a year away from being capable of doing anything once we get there.

2. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

looks like theres we are alot in agreement here

I really don't think 14-5 during a 19 game stretch spanning two seasons is really valid. I think it's cherry picking. It doesn't mean a whole lot. I get your point. I just don't think two halves make a whole here. I can hardly say they are over acheiving. What if we started 2-6 and won the last 5? Are we over achievers then? It's the same number of wins. I don't think the Titans have really done any better than we could have expected.
    Don't screw around with me. That is the definition of mediocrity. 3rd place at 7-6 and no playoffs is mediocre. I don't care if you only count half of it and pair it with the end of last year. The team could do better.

4. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

K.S adams is one stingy man huh?? he better get his check book ready...if the titans dont sign some good players this offseason....well...theres not much more i can do other than *****

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Based on what? What do you see that makes you think they can do better right now? I really just dont see it. I think they have potential and I think we have seen flashes of that potential, but the offense is no where near good enough at this point where I really think they can do a whole lot better and be any type of factor in the playoffs. I think we will see changes next season with Vince having another year under his belt, and hopefully adding some playmakers at TE and WR.

And I think the stretch spanning two seasons is valid because of the simple fact it raises expectations as fans. If this team was coming off a 3-13 year very few people would have had playoff expectations going into the season. But when you miss the playoffs by one game after a 0-5 start with a young QB, then I think it certainly raises expectations from fans. Thats why I think the 14-5 stretch is valid. And also, that is the stretch Im talking about over achieving. Obviously I dont think they are overachieving being 1-4 in their last 5.

6. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

yeah I hear ya

I found this site, which shows all potential FA's (before the season started mind you)

http://footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

just imagine if we loaded our defense and also picked up a few O players

Jared Allen, Karlos Dansby, Bernard Berrian, Bryant Johnson, Asante Samuel would all be on my short list

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I also want to add, that drafting Vince was kind of the price you pay for mediocrity from the offense for a couple years at least. Vince was not a polished player coming out of college, and we all knew it was goign to take him anywhere from 2-4 years to really start reaching his potential. And I think thats what we are seeing. I think either Cutler or Leinart were the more polished pro ready QBs straight out of college, but I think Vince has more potential. But its a give and take scenario. You want the young QB who will probably better a better passer immediately, or do you want the guy who has more potential 5-6 years down the road? I wanted Vince, but I think we all have to realize that for a years there are going to be some bumps along the way with him. And I think this is where much of this mediocrity is stemming from.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Good thread.

I was among those who thought our 8-8 season last year was a fluke and that 8 or 9 wins this season could be expected with a leap to 10 or more in '08.

With the hot start, I bought into the idea this team may be a playoff contender. I was wrong. We're a 8 or 9 win team who needs to end strong and '08 should be the season we make the push to the playoffs.

Only downside to that is that the Colts and Jags are still playing at a high level and I don't see teams like the Pats and Chargers dropping off much.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

1. The Jags are simply a better team - beating them = overacheiving. I don't think we match up well against them, so the other losses don't surprise me.
    2. The Colts are a better team, yet we've played them very close twice in losses, and beat them once.
    3. We lost in the final moments to a very good Ravens team last year.
    4. Lost yesterday in a close game to a team that I also think is simply better.
    5. We don't blow out many average teams....because we are average.
    6. We went 3-1 against the NFC Central last year.
    7. Then we play an elite team in NE, and get blown out....no surprise to me.

Now look at our offensive personnel....below average. And I'll say it's a mismatched group also, but a better match with the same below average playmakers (or only 1 real playmaker, VY) won't make this team elite.

Everything I've seen from this team the last two years points to an average team. Even if we haven't overacheived a bit like I think, I don't see how anyone can be truely upset with this team while thinking the Titans are much better than they are.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Their potential and the flashes of that potential that we have seen makes me think they can do better. Vince has just been sucking it up. We all know it's true. The receivers make tons of drops. We all know that to be true. They could be better in that area. It would make a huge difference on third down, the red zone, the scoreboard and the win column.
    You're right and it does raise expectations a bit I suppose. I just don't think achieving essentially nothing is actual achievement let alone over achievement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar