IT'S EDIBLE - random recipe thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Closer to Cuban than what we've been talking about but here goes...

Jeano's Pollo Empanizado special..

White meat chicken (tenderloins ideally, but full breasts sliced into thin 1/2" planks works).

Dip the chicken cutlets in melted butter and season to taste with something spicy. (I use Tony Chachere Creole seasoning and a dash of Tiger Seasoning powder.)

- If you have a seasoned skillet get it hotter than Georgia asphalt
    (a telflon pan as a last resort if no skillet - don't heat it prior though or you'll be breathing toxic fumes)

- Blast the dipped cutlets one each side just long enough to cook thru and get a little bit of golden crisp on the outside.

- Toss em on a plate, cover with tower of thin sliced white onions.

- Here's the important final touch.. Drown em in a 50/50 mix of Frank's Red Hot Sauce and (fresh sqeezed) lime juice..

- serve up a side of tasty black beans and white rice and enjoy..

(try substituting with thin cube steaks or cajun battered fried chicken tenderloins - it's all good)

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Cajun..

My wife and i owned a restaurant here in columbia tn for almost a year serving just lunch mon-fri but much of our food was southern louisiana. One of our regular customers was a guy from your town. He really missed the food down there and loved our shrimp jambalaya and red beans..

My wife is addicted to popeyes. Is there an antidote for this type of addiction? Every time we are in nashville we have to stop at popeyes and buy extra to take home. For the last 2 years there is no other restaurant in nashviile. Only popeyes!

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Yes there is! Prince's Hot Chicken...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Geez cruds..

If she gets a hold of that stuff she won't want to come back to columbia. Sounds awesome. Can we bring in our own jug of broken record's whisky sour?

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Whenever you need some just let me know. I can mix it up in no time flat. Practice makes perfect. :))

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Darn..

Too bad they don't allow that into titans practices. Of course you can sneek it in and looking at sec's new pants it looks like maybe he had a nip or 2 of something. :woohoo:

7. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Haha! Well make sure to stop by a tailgate this year and I'll hook you up. ;)

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Great night for culinarians!

Two great shows on tonight for food enthusiasts unfortunately they are on at the same time. Fortunately they both repeat so watch one and then the other. Instead of popcorn make some gumbo!

Fox, 8pm central has the finale for the 3rd season of hell's kitchen. A 2 hour double episode! Anyone who has not watched the show should check it out it is a hoot. Gordon ramsey, a scot by birth is the best known chef in england and most revered. He is known as much for his temper and abusive style(entertaining if the abuse isn't leveled at you) throwing around F words and other nice things to the chefs in the kitchen as he is about his cooking....
    Ramsey puts so much pressure on these cooks during dinner service they sometimes do strange things. One time a chef offered up a plate of half raw chicken after he continued to demand the plate.. Another time a chef took cooked pasta from the trash, washed it off and tried to serve it.

Travel channel 8pm central time..Bizarre foods-no reservations together in new york! Andrew's zimmern's bizarre foods is a new show in which this pudgy likeable guy travels around eating almost anything. A nice show to come on before tony bourdain's no reservations where tony does the same thing. Both guys are relatively fearless willing to go anywhere and eat anything. It's not just gross stuff though because both of them experience a culture first hand and it's fun to learn about new things.. Tonight's show is different because they double up together in new york. Both are from new york and tony was a chef there for over 20 years. Technically he is still executive chef at le halles and wrote a cookbook based on les halles a solid country french book.. In this show each one takes an hour to show the other one their favorite places to eat. Should be a blast.
    I have a suspicion that they will end up eating at papaya king a probable favorite of the both of them.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Cheese and hot pepper chicken..

On page 171 in paul prudhommes's classic book "louisiana kitchen" he has this recipe for cheese and hot pepper chicken. It's a complicated recipe that involves many ingredients and steps. I have a version that is easier and uses fewer ingredients and here it is. Prudomme's version is pan fried chicken placed in an oven and smothered with a rich cream of chicken gravy and topped with grated cheese. This version doesn't go into the oven.

Cheese and Hot pepper chicken:

Dry spices:
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    *1/2 teaspoon white pepper(if you don't have increase black pepper to 1.5 teas)
    1/2 teas nutmeg
    1/2 teas cinnamon

Vegetables:..finely diced
    1 cup onions
    1 cup *HOT PEPPERS
    1/2 cup celery

8 pieces fried chicken(cheap kind)

1 26 oz can cream of chicken soup

1 lb velvetta cheese cubed(A half loaf)

1 cup sour cream

1 tablespoons butter..

Saute the diced vegetables in the butter. When soft add the canned soup, sour cream and dried spices. Continue to stir and simmer and add the velvetta in pieces. Simmer and stir until all the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Add seasoning salt, hot sauce and pepper to taste. Warm chicken in oven at 350 degrees while making sauce.

Plate assembly-take about 1 cup of white rice(cooked obviously) and place on plate. Smother rice with some of the cheese sauce. Then place 2 pieces of chicken on top and smother them with more cheese sauce. Garnish with a little grated cheese if you wish.

The hot peppers you use are obviously up to you. Anaheims and poblanos are very mild. Jalapenos or seranos are nice and hot. Cayenne's are hotter yet and a scotch bonnett ot habanero will burn your face of. I use jalapenos in this dish..

By cheap fried chicken i mean the kind you buy at the store or that "broasted" kind. Not bad and cheaper than KFC.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Well well well..

Another thread about to bite the dust. Another food related thread about to drop into the sinkhole of oblivion. Shame. But don't worry because i'm willing to put up enough drivel every day to keep this thread on page one of the lounge for ever. Just need some help from cruds who started this thing and a few others. Cajuntitan who just needs to open that family vault and give up his etoufee recipes. Childress can open up with his home made bangers and mash or maybe a nice kidney pie. And kami come on, with all that cooking going on there in virginia? Nothing else to do there but cook!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar