IT'S EDIBLE - random recipe thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Anyone watch Top Chef?

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Top chef..

Yep on bravo. Pretty good show that brings out the best and worst of people and nobody ever seems to get along.

3. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

It's a pretty good show... I'm big on the Food Network too... Hate to admit it but I watch it more than ESPN... Of course, it's not quite football season yet either and I'm sick of hearing about the Yankees, Michael vick, and Red sox...

Hell, one of my favorite things about football season is the food...

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

It's cajun tonight baby!

We have some friends who are always struggling to make ends meet so we have them over every wed night for a nice meal. Tonight i'm making pork fricassee with cornbread dressing and for dessert it's gateau sirop(syrup cake).

Syrup cake like shoo fly pie hearkens back to the days before refrigeration. Cajun cakes as a rule are spice cakes with lots of cinnamon and or ginger. This one has cane syrup and molasses in it and it is really good and probably will keep for a year or two..

Gateau sirop

1 cup really hot water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup cane syrup
    1/2 cup molasses

Combine those ingredients in a large bowl.

Combine in another bowl

3 cups self rising flour
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ginger

Once the water and syrup bowl is cooled a bit add 3 beaten eggs to it and then add dry ingredients to it.

Bake in a well greased pan at 350 for 45 minutes

http://www.steensyrup.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=STEENS&Category_Code=S

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Hey, I'm not on easy street by any means...Can I have Tue nights??

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You are in!

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Nobody answered gunny's question..

Early on he asked what gumbo was and i'm sure he isn't the only one who might not know in this international family of ours.

Gumbo is a rich stew that gets that name from the african word for okra. Okra is often used in gumbos but is not a requirement. What is a requirement is a rich roux that is made with 50% fat and 50% flour and cooked until as dark as possible. The roux thinkens the stew and adds a depth of flavor that can't be achieved without it. A smokey flavor is another requirement for gumbo that comes from meat usually andouille sausage or ham. After that it is pretty open but file powder is often added. A green powder made from the sassafras plant that also thickens.

Rich stews are hardly the sole domain of southern louisiana though. Authentic mexican stews are outstanding like caldo de res(beef vegetables) or menudo(tripe) and pozole a hominy and meat stew that is probably the national dish of mexico. Jamaican pepper pot is incredible and on the west coast of africa gumbo like stews are very common.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

That sounds.....yuck.

But thanks for answering.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

10. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

Here is another easy one

Crawfish Pistolettes

1 lb crawfish tail meat (cleaned)
    1 onion (finely chopped)
    1 bell pepper (finely chopped)
    1 rib of celery (finely chopped)
    1 lb of velveeta
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 stick butter
    salt, pepper and cajun seasoning to taste
    1 bunch green onions
    12 pistolette rolls

saute onions, bell peppers, and celery in butter till onions wilt. Add crawfish and lightly saute. Add in velveeta and cream of mushroom soup and let simmer. While crawfish mixture is simmering take pistolette rolls and make an "x" cut at one end. Hollow out most of the bread from inside of rolls. Stuff rolls with crawfish mixture. Once all of your rolls are stuffed deep fat fry rolls with stuffing untill rolls are golden brown. Let cool slightly and enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar