It IS Gray's Defense...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Is this kind of a Titans/Gray hate D thread after they gave up 7 points at Heinz field opening week?

2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

The defense looks similar but not completely the same. We weren't back 10 yards in a soft zone the entire time.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The use of a big DT sized guy to play the strong side end was also popular from the 1970s. The early 70s George Allen's redskin teams had bigger Des than tackles.The 1972 super bowl team had 2 280 lb guys starting at DE and that was 40 years ago.

The Chiefs in 1969 developed the stack where a big end lines up across from the TE with the Sam backer behind him. We used that when Kevin carter was here and Williams used that in 2000 with Henry Ford.

The 4-3 has been around since the 1950s so there is a wealth of history that a good coach would draw from.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

They were without two of their best LB from last year, no TE, 3rd string RB, and lost their C on the opening drive. If we lose that game then we're in deep trouble.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

still a solid W

NOBODY appologizes for injuries in The League.

I loved it a few seasons ago when the Tarpkitties opened in Nashville and they were playing reserve TEs on the OL before halftime - good times!

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Hill and Pitoitua's size really helps, to me those are the guys that are making this whole thing really work.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I just don't think fans should try to divide the coaches. They have a history of success together and might be the right combination of what can make us a top defense in the league.

We might finally have the right combination of personnel and scheme to be a shutdown defense like in the past.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

As long as the D plays well, I don't think there will be any issues. If it goes bad, then it'll be interesting to see if the defense remains "Jerry's" or if Gregg steps in to take some of the heat.

Also, I don't believe that a "shutdown defense" can exist under these rules anymore. The Steelers were the top overall defense last season and still allowed 275 yards of offense and 20 points per game. Compare that to the Titans D in 2000 and they gave up 238 yards on average and about 12 points.

If the Titans can hold opponents under 20 points per game, on average, they'll be in the hunt all season long. I wouldn't care how many yards that ended up being. Note they gave up 29 last season, on AVERAGE. Taking that down to under 20 would be a significant improvement.

9. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I like Gray and thought the defense played decent in spells last season. The team gave up more returns for TD's than anyone and the offense had some inopportune turnovers. Heck, the Bears had more points than yards with about a minute left in the first half last year.

Clock control and fewer turnovers turns a bad defense into an average one. With the young core and additions, this D can be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar