It IS Gray's Defense...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Might have something to do with fielding the worst defense in the history of the league last year.

Just a thought.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I can't see any way Gray could be primarily calling the shots on this defense. After the abortion of a season we had last year? We fired Palmer so why not Gray?

It's all political let's be blunt about it. It is not politically correct to fire a black DC and replace him with a tainted bounty gate guy. So you pretend to ease Williams in as a senior adviser but come on you can see he is running things.

I thought Gray was a great hire originally. I think he can coach but it makes no damn sense to hire a guy like Wiilliams and not fully use him after you just finished 32nd in scoring defense.

This is a Greg Williams defense and the Dinger offense and that's the way it should be.

3. crypta333

crypta333 Starter

I really don't care who's name is on it. Just as long as they keep being a badass crew that can wreck the opponent week in week out! They look good so far. Going to be an exciting season!

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The plays were called by Gray but I'm guessing the scheme/formations/etc. is something Williams is a major part of. I would not be surprised if Williams has an open mike up to Gray as well throughout the game.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I'm almost certain he does. The camera went to Williams a couple times and you could see him with a sheet and a headset talking.... He's got to be talking to Gray and either aiding him in play calling, or maybe even doing it himself... I'd imagine they are both involved in scheming and play calling and I don't think it should be any different....

6. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Remember our matchups back in the day? Seemed like every time we played them we knocked out their QB.

If our defense plays like it did last week I like our chances in this one. If the Texans can't run and are forced to pass Williams will blitz the hell out of Schaub. Which I'd love.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

They weren't lying when they said their plan was to keep Griffin as far away from the ball as possible LOL

8. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

This will be a good test for the D and our O. Was it really just a bad stoolers team or have we taken a couple steps forward. Should be a good bench mark game.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It clearly is Gray's defense. Anyone watch the first drive? Jurrell Casey dropping into coverage on third and long, converted by the offense. Rush three and drop eight on third and long, converted by the offense. Rush four and drop seven, converted by the offense.

The defense was very lucky that Ben gave Redman a high handoff inside the five, otherwise we're talking about a totally different game while playing with an inept offense.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Top Defenses in the 1970s used a free safety way back to play center field and not give up the big play no matter how aggressive they were with their front seven. Just didn't want to give up anything easy. Paul Krause of the vikings had a hall of fame career sitting back and picking off a lot of passes but he couldn't break an egg as a hitter.

Of course strong safeties back then were like linebackers. You could argue that suits our personnel with Griffen and Pollard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar