It IS Gray's Defense...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I put on coaches film and the first play i saw (when Ben took a deep shot against J-Mac), this is what I saw:
    [​IMG]

I mean I understand its 1 S deep, but my goodness thats the kind of stuff from last year that got us killed. So maybe the second play will be better:

[​IMG]

Perhaps the third... (my goodness one is so far back you can barely see him)
    [​IMG]

O boi...

2. damersbrah

damersbrah Special Teams Standout

What exactly is your problem with a single deep safety? The umbrella term "Gray's defense" is rather silly, as the strategy has had proven success in the NFL if implemented by the coaches, and executed by the players correctly. A single deep safety has been a hallmark of Williams' defense for as long as I can remember. People can't have it both ways. You want an aggressive defense? You have to be willing to take the chance of giving up big plays.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

the stoolers opening drive was only stopped by a fumble recovery in the EZ

It was pretty real turrible up too that point.

I admit I did not notice 'la Vagician' getting abused every play so clearly JG was less of a factor than the previous 32 games. Having said that 3-3 on third downs too open the season??? WTF!

llike 1-10 from that point on though

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. titan_fan_4ever

I have absolutely no problem with a single deep safety...

I have a problem with VERY DEEEEEEEEEEEEP single/2 S......

Matt will tear us up next week if they give them that much room between the levels. Plus as GoT said, we got torn up that first drive. I will watch the rest of the game when i have time this weekend before week 2 so see if they played that way all game long (all those images are from the first drive against us after Ray's opening kick baffle).

5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Don't know why people are still hating on Gray. Him and Williams make a good combination. I want them both here. Pay them both. I thought you saw a little bit of both coaches influence throughout the game.

I get that you want to be aggressive, but the 1st drive in a new season isn't where you want to pull out your bag of tricks or send a ton of pressure. They made adjustments as the game went on and we're currently sitting in 2nd place in defense.

What are the complaints about?

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Safeties about 20 yards deep is not at all uncommon as it gives them a bigger cushion before they have to backpedal, turn and run and they can play everything in front of them, break on balls and rally up to make tackles. Basically if they're shallower they have to turn their back to the play earlier.

7. titan_fan_4ever

On all those plays the moment the ball is snapped they start walking backwards another 5 or so yards, meaning they won't be breaking on anything if you ask me....

They are just playing a bit too deep if you ask me...

8. JiminyBillyBob

JiminyBillyBob Pro Bowler

I really do not care about the early drive of the Stoolers. Once the rust was off, the Titans D started rolling. That was one hell of an effort. They played physical the whole game. There is a reason the Stoolers have three players out for the season after this game.
    I can't wait until we play as physical against the Cows, because one thing is certain, they do not do well against hard nosed physical defenses. I expect Schaub going into pu$$y mode again.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. titan_fan_4ever

Oh for sure, I like both these guys. They are opposites and therefore bring very different things to the table. Even the commentator mentioned how they are very different and that's why it works out.

And your right, I really can't 'hate' on our D after how they played in week 1. I was extremely impressed and pleased. But still, those really deep safeties are well... yeah just way tooo deep..

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well yes, if they immediately start backpedaling then its a little ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar