Is Ronde Barber HoF material?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, May 8, 2013.

?
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

As you may have heard, long time DB Ronde Barber is hanging up his cleats after 100 years of service. But in 5 years will he be in the hall of fame or no?

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Only if Kerry Collins is. Longevity doesn't make you an All-time great.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

of course

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Whoa whoa whoa, what?!?!

Ronde Barber was great for a long long time, Kerry Collins wasn't. Sure 40,000+ yards is impressive, but he never grouped together good seasons.

5. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I would say yes. I mean he played for 16 years at a high level. I don't know if he will be a first ballot HOFer, but he gets in IMO

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

When you look back at all-time great DBs.. Ronde Barber who wasted away his career in TB, will not be even near the conversation. He had a good long career, and was a good player for a long time. Not an all-time great. Got his super bowl.. but half of his legend is that he is a twin.

I don't even think Warren Sapp is really HOF material, and he dominated defensively for at least 5 years or so. Ronde was just good for a long while, he never ruled anything.

He may sneak in eventually... but in 5 years, nobody's gonna miss him, IMO. But whatever.. The NFL is making the league to where every top QB is going to end up in the hall, because they bend and edit the rules in their favor. It's going to be so watered down and bland by the end that it doesn't even matter anymore. We'll probably have 5 QBs from the past decade go in, and about 1 maybe 2 running backs.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Personally I don't think he's HoF worthy, not even close. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he got in at some point. It is still somewhat a popularity contest and Ronde is pretty much a universally respected guy and he had a nearly unheard of career-length, relative to his position at least. I think for those reasons he will get overrated by some voters.

I put Ronde in that same category I'd put McNair in. He had a very nice career and certainly had his moments of elite status. But at the end of the day he just wasn't truly elite for a long enough period of time to warrant HoF induction.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I don't think he is a first ballot guy, but I say yes.

He has the longevity, he has the stats (first CB with 20 sacks/20 picks, pro bowls, all pros, etc), he has a ring, he was a part of one of the great defenses, he sort of redefined the position with the Cover 2, and he has that long pick 6 that got the Bucs to the SB.

Possibly more important than that, all the media seems to like and respect him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I just can't see it. You play for 16 years and you're going to rack up some stats. But if you average out his career you get 1.75 sacks, 2.9 INTs, 1 FF, 0.75 Def TD, and 78.75 (total) tackles. I mean, are we putting corners in the Hall for being great tacklers now?

10. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

Gonna say no.

He was good, but not great.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar