Is it wrong for players (like CJ2K) to hold out?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Architect, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Architect

Architect Pain Train

CJ is getting a lot of flack for his performance in the last game. Most feel his hold out caused him to be out of sync with the offense. Some posters here feel that he was being "greedy" by holding out for a larger contract.

But another side of the equation that I cant remember ever seeing on this board is the OWNERS honoring contracts. Contracts in the real world are TWO party agreements... EXCEPT in the NFL. Nobody complains that the owners get to cut players and not pay them the money they agreed to pay them in a contract.

Yes I admit that Gage wasnt worth his contract, BUT I dont hear anyone on this board saying "Well Bud signed him to a contract, he should honor it and pay the man". :banned:

I really think we should lay off riding CJ for holding out, its a business. After meaning so much to this team's offense, if he blew his knee out he would be cut and not see any of the money Bud agreed to. Where is the fairness in that? If we had guaranteed contracts like the MLB I could understand fans frustration.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Question is, do you think CJ's contract would have been less if he would have attended camp during negotiations? I think not...

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

A Better question is why does he have to be in camp to get a contract done?

The lockout ended, and the Titans should have called him and got it done before camp started, period.

Time for you to open your eyes and realize there is more than one party to blame here.

4. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Really, just called him up and got it done?..:ha: I imagine a 50+ million dollar contract takes a little time, Palamalou attended camp and got an extension after CJ who was the only holdout in the NFL, and it showed. As a fan of the Titans team that doesn't sit well with me, but I guess it's ok for the player fans..:hmm:

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. customtitan

customtitan Special Teams Standout

the criticism wont go away until he shows up on game day... by claiming he's a top "playmaker" and refusing to come to the facility he's brought this stuff on himself.

his stupid tweets ( preseason and post game) arent helping either

6. Architect

Architect Pain Train

I honestly cant say that, this is the same team that promised CJ a new contract last year... had the entire season and the brief off season at the beginning of the year this year and didnt make an offer to him. Holdout showed he was serious. Outside of out tackles I really cant remember any MAJOR deals the titans signed sans a hold out (really cant remember any with a hold out either to be honest)

7. Architect

Architect Pain Train

So youre ok with owners being able to cut players and not pay them the money they agreed to pay them?

8. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Then what are you moaning about? You knew it would take time, and holdouts are a part of the business. Tennessee knew about the situation since last season. CJ made his demands clear last season so stop acting like this deal was out of left field and took the Titans by complete surprise.

Throw any example at me you want..

-Emmitt Smith held out into the regular season and his team won the superbowl.

-Darrelle Revis held out into late preseason and his team was in the AFC Championship game

-Mike Singletary held out for camp and the Bears gave him what he deserved and went on to win the Superbowl.

There is a long list of holdouts that got paid and benefited their team, trust me.

It's a business guy, It's not going to sit well with anyone when players hold out for ridiculous amounts of money but thats just how it is. Stop getting so butt hurt about it.

9. customtitan

customtitan Special Teams Standout

the new cba was just finished.... players had their chance to make the contracts guaranteed.

personally it think it sucks, but like i said they just had a hold out and could have demanded a nba style agreement.

10. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I don't think he would have gotten one.

The Titans would have a done a presser about their expecatations for him to honor his contract and that they would look into it "next year".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar