Is it ever ok to pull against your team?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Something I want my fellow Titans fans opinion on: Is it ever ok to pull for your team to lose? Here are two examples:

1. Your team has already been eliminated from playoff contention, and you’re now in line to get a higher draft pick and winning games drops you in the draft order. There is a stud player that can come in and immediately improve your team available at the top of the draft. Is it ok to pull for your team to lose in this situation? (I had friends that are Dolphin’s fans that were mad last year that they lost the “suck for Luck” sweepstakes by just winning enough game to get the 8th pick instead of the 1st).

2. It’s obvious your team would benefit from coaching, player, or management change. You know these changes won’t take place unless the team implodes and has a terrible year, but you know in the long run a new coach or player would be the best for the team. Is it ok to pull for your team to lose in this situation? (I know many UT fans at the moment pulling against them so that Dooley can be fired).

I have to admit that this is something I’ve struggled with. If losing will bring about change for the better and it’s what’s best for the team in the long run, I’ll admit it’s hard not to pull against your team. But does that make you a bad fan?

2. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I personally think it's still a little early to throw in the towel for a draft pick as of right now.

It's just hard for me to not support my team being that we have only played 5 games.

The only thing I don't want to see is that we finally get knocked out of playoff contention and we win like the last 4 games to end the season. My reason is not for a higher draft pick, but for the staff to get the ax.

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I don't care what people think, once we get our 8th or 9th loss, and playoffs are completely out of the picture: I hope they lose every game. What's the benefit of winning any game after that point? No benefit.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Yes.

Most people will probably call you a bad fan, but I don't care. I think it makes me a better fan to be willing to suffer through pure horrendous play in order to improve in the future. That said, I want us to do terrible things to the Steelers and their players. Kill Ruthlessraper!!!!!! Then we can tank after that.

Can you imagine if the Colts had won a couple more games and missed out on Luck?

5. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

cheer for the team.. win or lose.. that's what a true fan is..
    cheer for the team... only when they win.. that's what a bandwagon/fickle fan is..
    cheer for the team for a loss is not a fan
    its hard to watch yes... but bear with it... since when did we think we're out of the rebuilding stage... 9-7 record in a rebuilding year absolutely spoiled everyone..

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I'll cheer for the Titans no matter what. If a coach keeps his job because of a couple garbage wins late in the season then maybe we should be more concerned with the person making that decision. We know some people need to be fired, nothing should change that unless we magically make the playoffs. As far as draft pick goes it's a crapshoot, I rather have a little bit of pride with a few wins rather than pretty much tanking at the end. Even though I do hate going 8-8 or better and not making the playoffs.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Maker_84

Maker_84 Starter

agreed totally, but with Hasselsuck the titans have no chance and their offense is gonna shred the worst defense in the NFL

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Fake fans!

:neener:

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Chris Johnson? Is that you?

I say, continue to go to games and boo your own team. That's what real fans do. Let them know how pathetic they are.

You think golf clapping while losing by 30 is an appropriate thing for any sane person to do, week after week?

WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT!!!!

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I disagree

No draft pick guarantees a good player.....we should all know this after Vince Young and PacMan. All losing does if give your good players poor attitudes and makes you look like you need more than you really do.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar