Is Faulk correct?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, May 20, 2010.

?
  1. That's a true statement

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. No. That's a false statement

32 vote(s)
    65.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

You know what I mean. Kerry depends on other guys more than most... our defense has to be top notch and our running back has to be stellar for Kerry to have success. Whereas guys like Manning, Brady, Brees, Favre, and McNabb have all been able to carry their teams to victory more often than not.

Why not? What I said is true. In '08 Kerry's record had very little to do with him and more to do with star players on the team. Kerry sucked in '09 and you can't deny that he wasn't responsible for at least three losses. Although I will say that if it weren't for moronic Mouton, we would have beat the Jets.

2. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I like that. VY and CJ are a big part of this team, but not the only parts. There are over 50 other players on this team. If the line doesn't block, if the WRs can't get off the line, CJ won't make 2,000 yards if you give him 2,000 carries. CJ ran the ball with an average of 22.3 carries per game. I don't know. Is that a high average?
    The teams that always seem to win a lot have big backs plowing up the yardage while WRs are nailing routes and making huge catches. QBs with accurate passing and timing and a OL built like a wall. Not just one 2,000 yard RB.
    Team effort.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Kerry Collins is the best QB in the history of the NFL!

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You think it is that unusual for a good running QB to have a higher average than a runningback? I don't think Eddie George ever had a higher average than Steve Mcnair.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

At least three? Are you kidding? I have a hard time putting one loss on him more than on other things. He was certainly a contributing factor in several of them, but it's silly to say you can put three of those games on him.

You admit that the Jets game should be on Mouton. I'd say it would also go on the defense's poor start more than on Collins.

So, which of our second set of three games would Vince have won for us? The Jags game? Did you watch that game? We let Garrard have a field day. No way Vince could have overcome that deficit. We lost by twenty, and it wasn't nearly that close. That could have been a forty point game.

The Pats or Colts games? Vince had his chance at the Colts later in the season, and couldn't pull it off, and again, we weren't close to putting up the 31 points that we were giving up.

If you think that Vince Young would have been the difference in the Pats game, then I don't think I can have a rational discussion with you. 59-0. No player, I don't care if it's a giant Ditka, can make up that difference. We got pasted, and it's on every single member of the team.

I don't really even need to argue the Texans and Steelers games, but I don't think either of them goes all on Collins either. The Steelers shut down CJ, and we still managed to take it to OT. We played a good game and didn't finish it. Want to know how many three and outs we had that game? Three of them, and on one of them, Collins didn't throw a pass. On two of them, CJ had two carries for 1 yard, 0 yards, or negative yardage.

The Texans game is the easiest to put on Collins, because of that fumble at the end of the game. I'll give you that one, even though I do think that it was a freak event. Vince has had mind-numbing fumbles before. Also, when our D lets Schaub throw 4 TDs, it's hard to win the game. Collins had a pretty good game except for that fumble at the end.

So seriously, pick three games and try to blame them on Collins. Try it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

There's no doubt that we are much better with CJ than without him, but we're not doomed without him. The passing game is gonna be much better and so is the defense.

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Collins failed miserably at the end of the first three games when he had a chance to win them.

3 and out against the Steelers, fumble against the Texans, 3 and out against the Jets (this one was simply pathetic. The Jets just blitzed him and he had no clue what to do). You can't blame him for the Jags or Colts game, but he blew chunks in both of them.

Kerry Collins stats (2009):
    119/216, 55.1%, 1,225 yds (5.7 avg), 6 TD, 8 INT, 3 fumbles

QB rating: 65.5

That's terrible if you ask me. 5.7 yards per pass??? That's pathetic! His overall performance cost us a few games, and you know that.

VY would have beat the Texans and Jets. I am positive.

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

No way, no how does any RB impact a team the way a QB does. CJ is incredible... for a running back. He doesn't come near to Peyton or Brees in terms of impact on a game - he's not reading defenses every play, distributing the ball to the weak spots. A RB can only do so much.

We'd be a much worse team without CJ, but we could easily still have a productive offense assuming VY continues to play well. The O line is just really good, and we'd be able to grind it out on the ground. Not in 10-15 yard chunks but 3-4 yards moves the chains, too. Britt would take on more of a feature role as would Scaife.

If we're 9-7 with CJ we'd be no worse than 6-10 without him, probably a bit better than that. Faulk has an inflated image of his own importance, no it naturally follows he'd have to have an inflated image of the guy who broke his record. Carry us to a SB win and you become irreplaceable. Until then you are just great.

9. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

well if there aint not CJ on the field, no more qb option play that worked decently well.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'll agree with you that we wouldn't crash and burn without CJ but having him certainly gives us that extra we would need to be a serious contender in the playoffs.

I disagree about the primitive view of the NFL in this day and time. TOP only works if you have a dominating defense (which actually contributes to TOP obviously). First of all we don't have that and secondly it is getting harder to dominate teams on defense with all the passing displays going on. We play in a division with two of the best passing offenses in the league.

Let me explain the fallacy of your thinking. We are playing Houston and they don't play a 3 yard and cloud of dust game. They wing it around. Andre Johnson is going to get those big plays. They are going to score points. In your mind we can plug LW like a few years ago and grind out 13 points, win the TOP and win the game. Well half of that 13 points will come on one play when we decide to not guard Andre like we did last year. There is no room for error and without CJ, a guy who can also on one play score from anywhere on the field we don't have an answer.

The other fallacy is TOP translates to points. You can have the ball 40minutes and score 9 points the whole game. Good old fashion Fisher ball there. You have the best FG kicker in the league and lose games to good teams by 14 points or more. Hey, the FG kicker gets into the pro-bowl. So what if Manning only takes half as much time off the clock to drive 80 yards. Do you think he cares. Well without a guy like CJ breaking off big plays you may not score on those possessions. In fact, believe it or not it is hard to drive 80 yards on 3.5 yards per average. At some point you are going to stall the drive.

Did you ever think about the fact that teams that run back a punt or KR in a game have a much higher chance of winning the game? Well using your philosophy in those cases the kick returner should stop before he hits mid field because it is a better strategy to not score so fast and grind out clock. Sounds stupid don't it. Well that is about how stupid it is to have a problem with CJ ripping off 60 yard runs. I'll leave that for you to meditate on.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar