Is Cutler the best QB in the draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by maximus, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leinart is Not Mint

2. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

Cutler = Kyle Boller
    Rifle arm....not much else

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It will be interesting what the Titans think. I do know that Cutler was able to put big time numbers against some very good defenses and when he had a true go to WR he was darn good. Had he played with more talent around him he could have eaily averaged 300 passing per game.

4. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Soxcat, so true. People want to down play Cutler but he played in one of the toughest conferences against some damn good defenses. He had good stats considering what players he had around him. Young or Leinart wouldn't be as good if they played at Vandy IMO

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Well Leinart with his NFL OL, WRs, TE and RBs did put up much better stats than Cutler. Leinart threw for 3815 yards last year where Cutler only threw for 3073.

Wait, Cutler's numbers are for 11 games and Leinart's are for 13. So much for a big difference. To even think Cutler couldn't have been as productive at USC as Leinart would be ridiculous considering he was almost as productive at Vandy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Titans had him rated as high or higher than the other two.

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I totally understand that. Seems to be more people who don't.

7. dontdraftcutler

Well there's no convincing either of you guys that Cutler isn't what he's hyped up to be...just like there's no convincing me that he is. I agree to just disagree. Truth be known I don't know that much about him. I knew who he was last season, but I followed Vince Young much more because 1) I'm from Texas 2) I'm a huge Longhorn fan...Biased? Heck yeah!:))
    As far as Leinart, who could help hearing about him... the publicity he got/gets is unbelievable.

8. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

You may or may not like Leinhart, but to penalize his career just because he played on a great team is unfair. Just like penalizing Cutler because he plays on a sucky team. Leinhart put up outstanding numbers from day one and only lost 1 game. Sure he had talent around him, but so did Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning, but they are doing fine. I think Leinhart will be a fine QB in the NFL.

9. dontdraftcutler

Good post..... Guys, the hard and honest truth is...we don't know for sure how any of the big 3 will do. Sure we each have our favorite. We have to leave it in the hands of the "experts" and just hope they make the right choice. Potentially all three have greatness written all over them.....they also have bust written all over them too.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Thats a good point. I see no reason to try to put one guy down just to make another look better when both or all three could be successfull. The issue with comparing these guys is being able to see potential. Certainly Leinart is the most pro-ready of the three but he did play on a great team and he also had great coaching. That gives him a jump start on the other two. For example, if we dissect mechanics and footwork Leinart wins hands down. That isn't to say that a guy like Cutler with the same coaching couldn't be more refined at a later stage of his career. No one would argue that Leinart had top notch coaching in a pro-system. However, when looking at potential can a guy like Cutler learn and develop his mechanics and footwork to go along with his superior arm, something that can't be taught just like speed can't be taught. Young is a good example of being a guy who is a great runner but can he adapt into a more pure passer. He apprears to have a good enough arm.

The point really is we have to be carefull in how much stock we put in college accomplishments, although those do count and look at the material the coaches will have to work with. I'm not on the Cutler bandwagon because I'm a Vandy homer. No way would I want a Vandy QB on the Titans who couldn't get it done. The school makes no difference at all.
    I do think the fact that Cutler put up numbers similar to a guy like Leinart on a team like Vandy should speak positively for his pure ability more than the negative of not winning many games. Alot of average college QBs won a bunch on games on great teams. Heck, just give Cutler Bush for a season and that one player would be enough to get Vandy to a bowl game (very rare) but would also balloon Cutler's already decent stats considerably.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar