Is Collins setting the bar to High for VY?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cayal

cayal Starter

He did fine in his rookie year when he wasn't good at throwing, but ran the ball fine. Teams were stacking then.

I am not saying Vince would run over Chicago I am saying the added threat would have had one guy spying him in case of bootlegs etc, and opening it up a little for Johnson/White.

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Teams have film of him now.

3. cayal

cayal Starter

Irrelevant.

Mike Vick managed year after year.

4. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

As popular as youtube player videos have become, and as clear as it is that Vince is such a great QB, one would assume I wouldn't have such a hard time finding a highlight reel of Vince THROWING the ball. Cayal, maybe u can help me in my search

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

look at the stats at the end of the season for our WR's.

Gage might not lead the back, but overall our WR's will have improved, they are getting more touches with Collins. Including the TE's... look at Bo Scaife this is his biggest year.

7. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

I have been pleased most of the time with what KFC has done. No QB is ever totally accurate on every play or makes the perfect decision every time. He's done a pretty good job of not putting us into positions to lose. I'm sure as hell not about to go out and buy a KFC jersey, but I'm pleased with what he's done.

As far as VY goes...I'll admit I'm a bit of a homer. Not a homer in the sense that I don't see that he can vastly improve his game and hasn't been a very good QB for us at times. But I'm a homer in that I was to see him succeed. I've been a Longhorns and Houston Oilers fan since I was a little kid and I love the fact that one of my all time favorite college players is on my favorite NFL team. Sure I'd love to see him turn it around and become an elite NFL QB. It bothers me to see how many of us have totally given up on him. I think it is entirely possible part of his problems are with what Chow tried to do with him. All of last season and this season against Jax, he looked hesitant to run the ball when he had opportunities. That is not Vince Young. If he would somehow go back into that run when the defense gives it to him mentality,(which he is a natural at) I think the passing part of it would come to him. I think Chow tried to make him something he simply is not - a drop back pocket passer. Don't give up on him yet. Give him another season or two with Dinger and see what happens. If he doesn't pan out, I'll be the first to admit it. Oh, and by the way, Simms is sure as hell not the answer. You want to talk about bad decision making...he is by far the least popular QB with the Texas Longhorns fans. I watched him since he was a college freshman...not the answer.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

And Vince Young is Vince Young, not Michael Vick. Michael Vick is irrelevant. Game film is very much relevant. Defenses were easily able to gameplan for Vince Young last season. What changed in Vince from his rookie season to last season to this season, I don't know. He's a great athlete. He simply needs to take the small steps to get back where he was. Digest the playbook. Take what defenses give you. Take a loss or a penalty before putting the ball up for grabs but don't be afraid to throw it when it is there. His hesitation is one of his biggest flaws.

The Titans were in bad shape when they drafted Young, and they needed a homerun hitter, and Vince didn't disappoint. Now all they need is a game manager, and those expectations are currently too lofty for Vince. He has most of the fundamentals, and as I already mentioned, he's a great athlete, but he seems to be lacking the intelligence and the maturity to play at this level. Those are areas he can improve, but he has to want it.

About wanting it, look at Simms. Yeah, he might be a screw up, but you at least don't have to question his desire. He always seems like he's chewing on nails on the sideline, hoping he gets a chance. This isn't about what Vince does or doesn't do on the sideline, but more about what Simms does. You can just tell he really wants it. How many QB's would love to be playing for the Titans right now??? I have to believe that Vince has one more year to prove he can hack it, but if he can't, the FO will pull the plug on the Vince Young project.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I was talking to someone yesterday about this and a question came up...

"If the Titans win the Super Bowl with Collins, is there any way the Titans would not sign him to long-term deal?"

I think they'd have to and go into '09 with him the #1 which means a lot of money sits the bench until the day Roos whiffs on a block and Collins gets knocked out of the game or begins to lose games. At this point, I think Collins has earned a few sucky games/losses before he'll get yanked.

If the Titans were to sign Collins, would they try to trade Young?

10. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

The question is......would Bud allow them to trade Vince? I think after after the 09 season it could happen.....not before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar