Interesting Note Relating to Young and Bulger

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by titan_fan_4ever, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I thought this was pretty interesting. Relating to Fantasy Talk:

Source - http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070831
    By Bill Simmons

"42. Vince Young
    Let's say Bulger comes close to last year's stats: 4,200 passing yards, 24 passing TDs and 44 rushing yards. And let's say Young finishes with realistic numbers for him, something like 2,500 passing yards, 750 rushing yards, 13 passing TDs and eight rushing TDs. Guess who would have more fantasy points using a conventional scoring system with one point for every 20 passing yards, one point for every 10 rushing yards, four points for passing TDs and six for rushing TDs? Yep ... Vince Young. So why is Bulger ranked 5-10 spots ahead of Young in every fantasy magazine, newspaper and Web site? You got me."

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I love Bill Simmons. You got to search his Top Gun awards column. It's two parts, and was done in like Sept. 03, I believe. It's HILARIOUS. An award relating to a movie quote that goes to an NFL team for a then-current situation the team faced.

The preface is: Top Gun is the best terrible movie ever made. If you find it, you will die laughing.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Guaranteed one of the funniest columns you will ever read, especially if you love/like "Top Gun."

It's funny cuz it's true.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Just had to share: I was thinking of #17 when we hired Dave McGinnis.

"17. "I'm going to take a shower. Thank you. I enjoyed being here."

Just a classic moment in movie history. Has there ever been a stranger stream of dialogue? Did somebody actually write that? Has anyone ever wrapped up a date by saying those words?

Anyway, I enjoyed this sequence so much, and it's brought me so much joy over the past 17 years, I'm giving this one to my favorite coach: the immortal Dave McGinnis, the man responsible for the TV highlight of the summer that didn't involve Nick Lachey, Jessica Simpson, or anyone from Paradise Hotel and the OC.

I'll set the scene: We're about 14 minutes into NFL Films's 2002 Yearbook about the Arizona Cardinals, which was already funny enough because it made their 4-1 start seem like the Normandy Invasion, then casually skipped over the fact that they lost nine of their next 10 games. And McGinnis has already been so over-the-top, it almost defies imagination -- it's like he watched Pacino's locker-room speech in "Any Given Sunday," then spent the summer improvising deleted scenes in front of a bathroom mirror (while downing cups of coffee).

So McGinnis is addressing the team after a dramatic 9-6 win over the Cowboys -- an ESPN Instant Classic if there ever was one -- and his carotid artery is ready to splatter all over the place. Pacing like an absolute maniac, he belts out the following speech:

"What did we expect? (Some grumbling) WHAT DID WE EXPECT??? (Louder grumbling, confusion) We expected it, men. We expected it! And when you expect to win, you earn the right to be there to win. You've earned the right to EXPECT to win. And you've earned much more than that."

Fade to commercial.

Now ...

I'm not sure what any of that means. I'm not sure we'll ever be sure, and if we ever come close to solving the mystery, there will probably be about three bags of marijuana involved. But I can tell you this: During the tail end of the speech, McGinnis walks by one of his players, who's desperately trying not to laugh as his coach belts out the last lines.

So was it one of the greatest moments in NFL history? Right up there with Alan Ameche's 1-yard run, the Kellen Winslow Game, Elway's Drive, Vinatieri's Kick, Lynn Swann's Catch and everything else?

Yeah. I think so. But that's just me. When you expect to laugh, you've earned the right to expect to laugh. And sometimes, you've even earned more than that."

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Alas, poor Steve. We knew ye well....

"35. "You! You are still dangerous! But you can be my wingman any time."

"Bulls**t. You can be mine."

The climactic scene in the movie -- as well as one of the most uncomfortable exchanges of all-time -- goes to the climactic team of the season: Your 2004 Super Bowl champions ... the Tennessee Titans! In a season where offensive stats are about to shoot through the roof, it seems only fitting that a physical team devoid of skill-position stars would win the whole thing. This is the season that Steve McNair -- healthy, happy and just entering his prime -- puts himself on the map.

He's so good, he doesn't even need a wingman. But if he finds one, then he seeks that guy out in the post-championship celebration -- pointing at him, screaming "You!", then talking to him from two inches away, finally hugging him with his eyes closed in creepy ecstasy -- well, so be it."

Too bad it never went down that way. :hmm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar