Interesting look at Palmers offense.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Kaeotik, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

This morning on the radio Hasselbeck pretty much said Locker knows the offense and playbook more than he does. Matt didnt seem like he was ready..said he was still trying to grasp the offense. I look for Locker to be called apon by game 6.

2. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

We'll see. I think you meant upon and not apon.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

I hate to break it to you, but certain routes and concepts from the Run and Shoot are in almost EVERYONE's playbook...including ours for the last several years.

Some of the concepts are used against certain kinds of defenses and others favor 4 wr sets.

Have you noticed every single NFL team runs a twin or doubles combo pattern on a slant on the outside and a speed out on the slot?

And while the entrie Run and Shoot offense is built around all WR's and QB reading the defense (and breaking it down into one of several posibilities with them all changing the play accordingly), teams don't go to that length in the NFL. Sure they can change patterns based on a few different defensive sets (like cover 2 vs single high man) or blitz, but they don't go to the extreme the Run and Shoot did (which is why someone(s) was always open in the Run and Shoot).

I see people getting very excited as if we have some new brilliant OC who's installing Run and Shoot concepts, but the reality is he's installing HIS offense. Does it have some RnS concepts? Yes, but so do almost all NFL offenses. And FYI, you'd think Gilbride's coordinated team would lead the league in offense....

Palmer is gonna be a run first guy who will smartly take advantage of teams in the passing game when they can't match up or committ too many men in the box to stop CJ.

I think the most impressive thing so far is our ability to run and open holes using the same OL as last year that didn't do a great job. So far, our OL looks great and we have the kind of run attack that should/will scare people.

And I like that we ARE able to successfully run screens to our RB's. This may be harder when CJ is there and teams will have to assign a better player to 'cover' him, but well coached screen teams can throw screens against anyone. And those include WR screens, quick hitches to Mariani and bubble screens to Cook. We've already seen Locker and Hasselback looking to throw Go and Fade routes down the sideline when teams load the box.

Britt should have a field day if he can stay healthy and out of trouble.

If we can play like we've done in pre-season on both sides of the ball, we'll be in excellent shape!

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

C.J. has a bad rep for not having good hands, but he had 2 of the most inaccurate QB's throwing to him the past 3 seasons. Try catching a knuckle ball from 4 feet away, it's not the easiest thing to do.

5. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

I remember CJ tearing it up in the screen passing game against the Bills in 09...

I couldn't understand why they never tried that offensive approach again as it was so effective.

6. JCBRAVE

He demolished the Rams in 08 or 09 catching screens. I even saw that the play was developing into a screen, told the kid next to me "hey watch C.J. score", then BAM! TD from like 40-yards out!

7. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

Yeah, he is so deadly in space that is was just confounding why it wasn't done more often...

Hopefully, Palmer is drooling over the possibilities...

8. JCBRAVE

Probably same reason Javon Ringer was our 3rd down back last year. Fisher over thought things to the point he took himself out before it even began. Dumb ****, so glad he's gone. That fool played the percentages far too often.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Nice read.

You could tell in the Saints game that Britt read that he could beat his man deep and Hasselbeck thought he was going to turn it into a deep out and thus sailed the pass OB. Sure looks like the QB and WRs need a lot of reps to get a feel for how they are reading the secondary and thus can be on the same page.

In terms of CJ and screen passes, as long as CJ is being spied by the other team he will be useless in the traditional screen game. What we need is for Cook to become a weapon and draw more attention from the Lbers and limit the other teams ability to spy CJ.

Until we show that we can beat teams in the passing game they are going to key on CJ.

10. JCBRAVE

Locker better know that playbook better, he's had his copy since April. Hasselbeck got his last month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar