Interesting interview with Jerry Gray.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Kaeotik, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray visited with The Wake Up Zone this morning, and I was struck by two things he said.

On run-stopping defensive end Ropati Pitoitua: “You’re talking about a 6-foot-8, 300-pound guy, who No. 1… you can’t single block. And when you try to double team he splits them and he made a couple tackles that way. And that shows up in linebacker play when Zach Brown and (Akeem) Ayers and (Moise) Fokou come thorugh to scrape, that guard isn’t that fast up on them cats or that tackle isn’t as fast up on the next level. So when you’ve got a guy who can hold a double team and hold his own, the linebackers thank him and trust me, we really thank him and a defense. Because we know some guys have to do the dirty work and those are guys that have been picked and chosen to do that job.”

I thought Pitoitua was quite good, though he played just 19 snaps.

On Brown’s rushing against the Steelers based on running back LaRod Stephens-Howling’s role in protection: “If the running back, most of the time, nine out of 10 times, is protecting in the passing game, if we figure that this back is going to block before he checks out, why not keep him in if you just go ahead and rush? So that way, you get the best of both worlds. You get a fifth rusher and a lot of one-on-ones across the board with your defensive line. ...And hopefully, like we got the other day, Zach Brown was able to overpower No. 34 (Stephens-Howling), who’s a smaller guy. He’s quicker out of the backfield, but when you have to put him in protection, that’s where you get the mismatch that you want.”

That’s some interesting insight there, credit to Frank Wycheck for asking the question. The Steelers lost Stephens-Howling for the season to a torn ACL. Whoever is in the backfield for the Steelers going forward, they need to be less predictable.

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/487/gray-on-pitoitua-rushing-against-a-rb

2. rodgev

rodgev Starter

Love it no free passes if you want to chip and check out. Stand and block like a man or get ran over!

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Gregg Williams was feeding him answers via an earpiece.

• High Five High Five x 5
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Whatever works.

And if Pitoitua is so great how come we got him so late and so cheap?

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

We use him differently than other teams would. That'd be my guess to why he was an under the radar DE, most teams can';t use him as a DE.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Well, he was always in a 3-4 before. Maybe he was below average in a 3-4 and strong in a 4-3.

• High Five High Five x 4
  7. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

He's been used as a DE/NT in a 3-4, to take on double-teams. Not your typical 4-3 DE type of guy.
    Seems promising.
    I'm surprised the Chiefs couldn't use him as a 3-4 team.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I saw one heads up play where Pitoitua batted a ball down also.

9. WV2SoCalTitan

WV2SoCalTitan Starter

Pitoitua made several nice plays sunday, on one play I watched him literally walk the left tackle back to big Ben forcing a bad throw. He is a monster of a man that will make a dramatic difference on our defense.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Not saying this is a similar case, but we got Vanden Bosch when no one else wanted him, for cheap, and he became one of our best ends we've had.

Pit's injuries are what have held him back. I remember the Jets being extremely big on him, and then he got hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar