Insomnia - or atleast i think it is.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PitBull, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Has anyone ever had this?
    I've had it for the last 3 nights and I'm hating it.

It started Wednesday night when i got back home at 12:30am. Exhausted, i took a shower and hit the sack. I woke up fully rested at 2:30am. Looking at my phone's clock, I thought to myself "wtf.. why am i up only 1.5hrs after going to sleep?".. and I went back to sleep again. Each time it took me 30 minutes to fall asleep, and I kept waking up 15 minutes later.

This went on until 6:00 am, so i got up and decided to give it up.

19hrs later, i tried to go to sleep at 1:00am on Thursday night. (friday morning)..

Considering i haven't slept more than 2hrs in the last 48, I thought i'd be out the minute my head hit the pillow for atleast 8hrs. Turns out Thursday night was worse for me than Wednesday. Atleast i got to fall asleep several times the night before, but on Thursday I just couldn't fall sleep. Although I was exhausted as hell, the sleep button in my system just wasen't being pushed. My eyelids were aching because i was shutting them so tight. Trust me.. it sucks to be exhausted, but being unable to fall asleep. I did finally fall asleep at 7am, but jumped out of bed 45minutes later fully rested. **** it... i decided to get up and just go to work.

Now.. last night (friday night/saturday morning) was the worst by far.
    I have an early Saturday meeting at 8:30am, so I wanted to get this whole sleeping disorder thing out of my system so that I could give the 2hour presentation without falling alseep at the podium.

So.. I planned the perfect Friday night..
    I called up my girlfriend and took her out to one of the finest sea food restaurants in town. Later we went home and drank just enough wine to get a light headed buzz. We did what a happy horny couple would do, and being the great considerate gal she is.. she didnt mind going home after we finished since I had to be up at 7:00am, and hadn't slept at all the two nights before.

Guess what.. again, i couldn't fall asleep! I was exhausted, and my whole body shut down, but my mind was still fully awake.:rolleyes:

I tried counting sheep, remembering ex-girlfriends names', imagined myself diving in peace in the red sea coralls with magnificant gold/pink/blue fish.. and everyother peaceful thought my exhausted mind could think off.. but still, the sleep button wasen't working.

So i got up and started the 'battle at Kruger' thread, watched a couple of episodes of Lost, and then tried to sleep again. Again, 1hr of tossing and turning later, I was still wide awake. I didn't even manage to doze off at all.. even for a few minutes.

I did manage to get through my presentation without dozing off though, and here i am writting this thread.. but i've decided I'm going to get some sleeping pills, but first try to naturally fall asleep tonite before gorging down on the pills.

Has anyone faced anything similar? I wikipedia'd 'insomnia', and found out that this is normal, and supposdly 64 million Americans suffer from insomnia on a regular basis each year. I can't imagine that though.

Thoughts? doctors? mothers? anyone..?

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I've never had anything of the sort, but sometimes when I cant sleep (rarely ever) I usually just automatically think that my body doesn't need sleep at that time. And notice I usually feel fresh the next day, even without much.
    I think most people starting thinking 'I can't sleep' and then THINK themselves out of a good night's sleep.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

^ I agree with Gloat.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Start with the common things first:

1. Stress can definitely alter your sleep cycle. The onset certainly sounds like a stress altered sleep pattern. Was this a very important presentation? Did you feel adequately prepared? Are there other potentially stressful situations that pre-occupy your daily thoughts? Many times recurrent stressful thoughts that you have suppressed during the day come to the front of your mind when you are or are trying to sleep. Distracting sensory stimulation has been removed (no sights, sound, smell, feel). If you have a definable stressful event, then addressing that to your satisfaction during the day often helps. Don't get in the bed until you are tired- don't watch TV, sleep or snack in the bed.

2. Are you taking any new medicines. Anti-histamines, decongestants and cold tablets are notorious for disturbing sleep cycles. Some BP meds do it also. What is your PM caffeine intake? Are you drinking Cokes, Dr. P's etc after 6pm?

that is a place to start. I would avoid using sleep aids because they often have undesirable side effects the next morning despite their advertisements.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I've had it a couple of times.

Riverman gave great advice and there is often a cause even if your not aware of it.

If it isn't medical it can simply be that your focused so much on something like a project at work that your not switching off fromwhen you leave for the day.As Gunny & Gloat said if it's bugging you you can fixate on it & make it worse.

The night out was a good idea as it distracts your mind from the issue but keep it simple. Go to bed as normal and but do some light reading like a good novel or listen to an audio book.Your doing something rather than 'thinking' I can't sleep.It usually works for me.

You can survive on as little as 90mins sleep a day for a long time and usually these things don't last.

If it does though or your not sleeping at all you need to see your doctor.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Thanks for the tips all..
    High fives all around..

7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

try eating bad foods, and work so hard that your body hurts.

youll sleep easy.

8. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

man, there's nothing a few beers can't take care of, IMO. They always make me feel drowsy. Tylenol PM also works. Cough Syrup.

9. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Low dosage xanax (.5 mg) sure does the trick for me, and I have insomnia a lot.

10. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

The 'lady' in singapore called PB and said she is pregnat. :gag:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar