In radio interview, Mawae not optimistic

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>In an interview Tuesday on SIRIUS NFL Radio, <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ten" shape="rect" target="_new">Tennessee Titans</a> center <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=602" shape="rect" target="_new">Kevin Mawae</a> didn't sound too optimistic about his chances to play Saturday in the divisional playoff game against the Ravens at LP Field.</p> <p>Initially Mawae said he wasn't going to play, then he backed off and indicated his status is yet to be decided.</p> <p>Here's a piece of his conversation with Adam Schein and John Riggins of "The SIRIUS Blitz" courtesy of SIRIUS:</p> <blockquote> <p><strong>Riggins</strong>: "Will you be there this weekend?"</p> <p><strong>Mawae</strong>: "No, I'm not going to play this week. It's still questionable. We're day-to-day and hopefully things progress to where I'll be able to play next week. But again, we're day-to-day right now."</p> <p><strong>Schein</strong>: "So you're not going to play this week against Baltimore?"</p> <p><strong>Mawae</strong>: "Don't know. We're preparing like I'm not. <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10559" shape="rect" target="_new">Leroy Harris</a> is taking the snaps right now and my job is just to get healthy and get stronger. But the final decision has not been made yet."</p> <p><strong>Riggins</strong>: "This has got to be a difficult week for you, I think, given how you've gone through this season [and] played as well as you have. Your offensive line [has been] very dominant with you certainly being a huge part of that. How will you prepare this week? You're the only one who really knows where you are and if you can go and if you think you can contribute at the level that you are capable of contributing. What do you do this week to help your team? How do you approach this week? Because I've got to believe it has got to be different for you than previous weeks."</p> <p><strong>Mawae</strong>: "Well, I think the most important thing is just being in the meetings and knowing what's going on and knowing what to do. The Ravens have a great defense. They do a lot of different things and mentally you've got to be on your ball game. So being in the meetings, paying attention, asking the questions and understanding what our scheme is for this week and understanding what our game plan is going to be. And then from there it's on to the field, the conditioning, as long as I'm staying in shape and things like that. As a guy who has played the whole season it's frustrating because I got to Week 15, I've had a great season, made the Pro Bowl, and all that and then to have an injury at that moment in the season, it's frustrating. But at the same point you've got to have the right attitude because as a leader on the team my attitude is infectious to the guys in my room. If I'm mullygrubbing and pouting about me being hurt or whatever then it's not good for my guys. I need to be in there and keep them going, keep them upbeat and let them know this is what you guys need to think about. Especially, in the event that I don't play, Leroy Harris. 'Hey, here's some tips about these guys that we're playing against. Think about this on your technique.' Just being involved, letting the guys know that you're part of it still and that it's just as important to you now even though you may not be playing as it is if I'm the one going for sure. I think the guys appreciate that and I think that's what leaders do."</p> <p><strong>Schein</strong>: "Kevin, take us through the thought process for the week because, as you just articulated, realistic chance as you explain it to us that you're not going to play in the playoffs this weekend. What would have to happen for you to play? Do you need to practice? Do you need to pass certain tests? How involved are you going to be, [and] coach Fisher, in the ultimate decision-making process?"</p> <p><strong>Mawae</strong>: "Well, any time a player is injured or hurt the player is the one that's got to be honest and forthright with his injury to the coaching staff and the medical staff. How well do I feel I can go? If I can go can I help the team or am I just going to be a hindrance to the team? So that's something that in my mind I'm thinking about, I'm communicating with Jeff Fisher about and the training staff about and with my offensive line coach. But the very real possibility that I might not go, I've got to make sure the guy behind me has to be prepared and knows the level of communication that the other guys on the offensive line are expecting and things like that. So, again, I'm not getting caught up on whether or not I'm going to play this weekend. I'm getting caught up in trying to get better, rehabbing, strengthening exercises, things like that. Again, it'll be a decision that'll be done late in the week. As far as what am I thinking day to day? Coming in, going to meetings, doing my treatment, doing my rehab and hopefully, if things go well I can be out there but I'm not going to do anything that's going to either 1) damage myself even more or 2) hurt the team. And at this point in the season I think hurting the team is the most important thing that I've got to be aware of."</p> </blockquote>

More...

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

has the team even said what type of injury he has? the only thing i've heard is it's an elbow(thanks fisher)

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I'm more concerned about the loss of the brains rather than the brawn.

4. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

You can say that again. He calls out the protections against the D. With his absence, we will surely miss his experience and intelligence against Baltimore. Anyone else concerned that a second year player starting only his second game of the year will be replacing him?

5. Bayou Titan

Bayou Titan Starter

I'm concerned about Harris having to make calls against an unconventional D... with that said... Solomon Wilcox was going crazy over Harris on Sirius at lunch.... I mean he was just praising him to no end. He said that he was at training camp and saw the beast that this guy is... he also hinted that to a man... Titan players talk extremely high about this guy..... with all of that said... I wish we had Mawae at 100 %.... just from an experience standpoint.

6. TYRANTS

TYRANTS Camp Fodder

Ya that sucks, we are a way deferant line without him

7. TYRANTS

TYRANTS Camp Fodder

We are going to need to get alot of blocking help from LW

8. jose7

jose7 Camp Fodder

Let's put the headset in Harris' helmet so Mawae can talk to him from the box. I'm only partly kidding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar