Improve your PS3 visuals with FULL RGB

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Toly, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toly

Toly Free your mind

I've been meaning to post this for quite some time now for those that don't know about this feature. This will work only if you hook up your PS3 with an HDMI cable and have an HDTV that supports FULL RGB (it will in most cases).

FULL RGB can be found on the PS3 under settings -> display settings. It is set to 'Limited' by default. Changing this option to 'FULL' will make colors look more richer and vibrant... blacks will actually look black instead of dark gray. Also, set super white (below FULL RGB) to 'on'.

Here's a comparison of an image before and after...

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showpost.php?p=7363281&postcount=77

I believe the 360 has this option set to 'FULL' by default.

2. OILERTATTOO

OILERTATTOO Starter

The results really depend on the TV.

While most new TV's do accept full RGB, they do not process it perfectly. It can give you more robust colors, but it can also create something called *Black Crush*.

Black Crush does exactly what it sounds like. It causes you to lose detail in dark scenes by not properly processing blacker than black images.

Later

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yes, but judgin by those screenshots, it looks like several things have happened there

for one, look at his arm... notice how it looks much brighter
    the color is washed out

the picture looks to have had the
    contrast inreased
    brightness increased
    sharpness increased

I did a similar setup using the settings in my display
    I set Dynamic Contrast and Super White to on and got similar results

but yes, if you have the setting set to limited, you should set it to FULL
    or Auto at the very least

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar