I'm still mad at Chris Brown

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanium, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

2. Nine

Nine Starter

I'm probably one of the bigger Chris Brown fans around, and it wouldn't bother me a bit if he remained a Titan next year. This year, for the first time in his career, he ran hard and broke tackles, and was a much better runner overall than he has been in years past.

That said....the fumble was a killer. Granted, it was a great play by Merriman, it's not hard to see why the balll popped out....but after his red zone fumble a week ago, Brown should have been protecting that ball like a firstborn child. If he sticks around, he needs to make ball security his #1 priority.

However, I'm not laying it all on Brown. The fumble hurt bad....but was it that much worse than Bironas missing a 38-yard FG that would have gotten the Titans right back in the game? How about a secondary that forgot to leave the locker room after halftime, allowing 250+ yards in the second half? Or Tulloch's non-tackle on 4th & goal....he had LT stopped short of the end zone, but instead of wrapping up and pulling him back, Tulloch slid off to the side, allowing LT to stick the ball over the goal line as Tulloch started to celebrate. And of course, there was VY's interception...probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, but it was the final nail in the coffin.

Brown's was bad, but it was just the first in a long line of big screw-ups.

3. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Sure, it was one of many mistakes, but if CB doesn't fumble there, at worst we come out with a FG. At that point we had the lead and momentum, no pressure. The fumble in my opinion took the wind out of the sails of a very young team, which most players were playing in their first play-off game...ever. The aggravating thing of it all is CB has been in the play-offs before, he knows ball security is top priority. As for the secondary, yeah, they didn't really help the cause and Tullochs play...well it was great, but showed his youth. Any vet would've met LT and slammed him back, making sure he was down for the count.

EDIT: Bironas' miss was bad...no excuse for that one. From the sounds of it he was a little cocky when he took it and instead of taking it serious he kind of just finessed it if you will.

4. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

I agree with what he says in his blog, and yes, I'm still irked at Chris Brown!

It has absolutely nothing to do with what kind of guy he is. I like Chris Brown, I know he's a good guy, but as a football player, I'm disappointed.

No he didn't single handedly lose the game for us in San Diego, but indirectly, I think he did. After his fumble, it was such a momentum change and the Titans never recovered. Who knows what would have happened if we would have scored instead of Chris barfing up the ball, but I sure would have liked to have found out.

5. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

If this is true, and I question the accuracy of it, then is that not any more reason that Red Hat should be gone? For someone to say they actually practiced leaving Merriman unblocked is ridiculous...both from the stance that someone would believe that and/or the stance that you would intentionally leave free someone like Merriman. Its like saying "okay guys, we going to intentionally avoid blocking ___________ [insert Lewis, Urlacher, etc.]...HOWEVER...make a mental note of that in case he chases you down so you don't get hit by the guy..."

Ridiculous. If that was in a playbook or game plan then that idiot should be fired.

6. Nine

Nine Starter

Tons of plays leave a backside DE or OLB unblocked. If you're going to pull a guard or tackle for a double team at the point of attack, then you're down a blocker against the rest of the O-line.....someone is going unblocked. Common sense dictates that it should be the guy furthest from the ball....in this case, Merriman.

To make such a play requires the defensive player to make a very quick read and one heck of an athletic play. Most guys couldn't pull this off; Merriman can. And that kind of skill is what sets him apart from other LB's.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What about the eddie george fumble deep in our own end in the steelers playoff game? And the pass that hit his hands and ended up being a ravens TD and the end of that 2000 season?

Those were playoff games!

Eddie sucked!

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The best part of that article is the comment about getting someone in here who would be a positive influence for White and Henry. The Titans need a Robert Holcombe-type vet as their #3. He was a hard-working guy who was a team player. He could play FB if needed. He was a special teams standout.

Those kinds of players have a huge influence without the baggage.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Wow jeff..

You want robert holcombe while several other posters want to use a 2nd rd pick even a first on some hot shot back. what a difference! I agree with you.

Actually from an economical perspective brown might be our best bet next year. White entering his third season doesn't need any mentoring he just needs to stay healthy..

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Everyone here should realize by looking at history that the Titans are not going to draft someone in the second round, pay them the bonus money and not give them the opportunity to perform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar