I'm rich, b****!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanbuoy, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sappersis

Sappersis "custom user title here"

I would like to tell you a little story.

There once was a man named *bob*. Great man, very smart... graduated top of his class in college and went on to have a very prestigous military career. When he was in his mid twenties he found out he had a lump growing on his brain. After many test they found there were actually many lumps and they were't the harmless kind. He and his new bride talked things over and they decided to begin radiation, despite the fact that they were expecting their first born child. After the radiation failed they continued on to try other forms of medication. They fought the cancer with chemo and even went so far as to have a surgery to remove those growing clumps. One child, and many years later a salesman comes to the door. Tells the man he can help pay off his medical bills and build a very large college fund for both of his very bright children. All he needs to do is buy a hundred Australian lottery tickets. Due to the exchange rate you would be spending pennies and reaping the rewards. Who could say no? Spend 5.00 get 100 lottery tickets with a high chance of winning back thousands. Sadly you must buy these tickets with a credit card. Sadly this very smart man had too many drugs in his system, had won the fight with cancer on many levels... but lost on many others. He didn't see the scam comming. My father ended up losing 500,000.00 to a man who was "just selling a couple lottery tickets." Identity theft wasn't a term thrown around at that time. Credit card companies didn't have policies to negate any charges you didn't actually make.

Most see these scams for what they are... yet there are those who dont. Those that cannot tell the difference anymore. Drugs, alcohol, disease, and desperation... they all affect the choices we make. These are the people that are prayed upon the most.

2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

:ha:

And I'll continue to refer to you as Shiela

or Bruce.
    [​IMG]

:))

Hey! I got to wear the Mr. Peanut costume back in highschool. I also took a turn as the A&W Root Bear. The peanut thing sucked, but other than being hot as hell the bear gig was awesome. People really dig the root bear.

3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I'll go ahead and state the obvious and say that totally sucks balls. It's tragic that those who can't help themselves for one reason or another are invariably the ones who fall for this nonsense. It's never fun to be the source material for a cautionary tale. I guess it's just the nature of existence on this planet; the weak and gullible get preyed upon by those that will. It sucks, but I don't think it'll ever change.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I recently had my paypal account hacked. Coincidentally the cyper crook took the equivalent $400 American out in Aussie dollars. I doubt anyone noticed it, but for the past week my blue bar beneath my avatar was missing. It re-appeared the other day once the matter was resolved. Although it was relatively easy to fix, our household was straight out that money for about a week. Now that the money has been returned we can buy diapers.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

:duckrun:

6. Amazingly, people fall for this stuff all the time. But let's be honest, we all know that there are some people out there who are pretty gullible, stupid, and/or greedy.

Hell, just look at all the people out there who take BS things like astrology seriously, go to fortune tellers, etc. Are those things any less intelligent?

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I agree and I seem to only date girls who are into all that crap.

8. Sappersis

Sappersis "custom user title here"

Whats your sign suga? ;)

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

My sister, who has an undergraduate and a masters degree, both from top 25 schools, once got one of those and called me to ask and see if it was worth following up on. This was maybe 2-3 years ago. It's surprising how slowly word gets around about this kind of scam. Also, it's really hard for some people to turn down a very large amount of money that seems available to fall into their lap.

It's sad, but a lot of people aren't very street smart.

10. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar