I'm down to two quarterbacks. Mallet and Stanzi. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by XO, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Gruden's camp session with Mallet is what finally tipped my opinion of him. Gruden's QB camp has been my favorite part of the entire draft lead up this year. Completely changed my overall opinion of Ryan Mallet and Cam Newton (Mallet went up while Newton dropped)

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Vince scored an 8 on his wonderlic. Supposedly he took it again and got a 14 or 16(conflicting reports). The nfl in a fit of political correctness claimed that something was wrong with Vince's first test. I don't buy it he scored a damn 8! What could be wrong with a test of 50 questions and 12 minutes to answer them? A damn 8!

Newton scored a 21 the first and only time and didn't need help from the nfl.

3. XO

XO Nevada Native

A byproduct of the spread option offense is that you will often have open receivers down field do to the defense keying in on the rushing attack.
    Cam had one read on passing plays. He did a good job on that one read before he took off running but that was all he did. Many times that one read found a receiver running down field wide open waving their arms...

Sounds super complex doesn't it? Sure is great he can throw to wide open player streaking down the field. Cam really carved up those defenses with his NFL arm and superior accuracy.
    That offense was simplified because Auburn put execution above complexity. It was amazingly effective this past year due to the simple QB being really good at running the simple one read offense.

It isn't a bad thing! It works great at the college level. It got Auburn a national title. The thing is I'm not impressed by the fact Cam could run it. I say you can put any pure athlete with a decent arm in that system and you would have gotten similar results in the passing game. The only difference is I put Cam's rushing ability ahead of most people. He was lethal running the ball. Which is why teams had to respect that aspect of his game so much. This leads to receivers running open. This leads to Cam having some over glorified passing stats.

Cam's extraordinary season was nothing more than the product of the system he ran. If he was in a pro style offense his numbers would be nowhere near a good. Still not a bad thing because if I throw Mallett in the spread option he gets killed most likely. Cam was amazing at doing what he did except for what he did is nowhere to be found in the NFL.

Different QBs have different strengths. I am always disappointed by the fact that whenever a special athlete like Cam comes along they seem to always end up in a gimmick or spread offense in college. This does them a huge disservice and they suffer at the next level.

He is not ready for the NFL and the team that drafts him better go ahead and start tearing pages out of their playbooks. Gruden was very subtle on his interview the other night but laid it out for everyone to see. Cam ran a simplified gimmick offense at the college level and he will basically be starting from scratch next year. He has all the tools and ability in the world but he is facing an incredibly difficult transition. It doesn't mean he can't do it. Maybe he will and prove everyone wrong becoming the Michael Jordan of football. I just don't see it happening.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Averaging 10 yards on mostly bubble screen passes means absolutely nothing to me.

You should really start watching football.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

His weakness is why you guys can't agree. He doesn't read defenses, just one guy. In the NFL it will be very different. And no, I don't have to argue he made bad reads, he simply hasn't done it. Doesn't mean he can't learn it. By did. But is still a weakness.

And when you are able to run whenever you want, are bigger and faster than the avg college DE, you should pit up amazing stats, but you can compare those to a Ryan mallets stats because he had to read a defense and make decisions on his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options.

So basing all of Newtons prowess on his numbers translating him into an elite NFL qb is a mistake.

Stanzi and Newton are 2 completely different players coming from completely different offenses. You're comparing apples to oranges and arguing over which tastes better. Look at them within their own offenses and look at eaches strengths and weaknesses translating to the NFL.

Have fun!

Gut

6. XO

XO Nevada Native

7. 24

24 Starter

That site has no credibility. And, how would anyone know what QB Belichick likes? Information like that isn't just out there for the taking.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Trust. The Patriots want Stanzi.

So do the Colts.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if either of them took Stanzi in the 2nd.

9. turnNburn

turnNburn All American NCAAF Gamer!

As a die-hard Titan fan I say, "Give me Ponder, or Give me Death!"

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

It's not his talent that is the issue, it's the likelihood (or more specifically the opposite) of him getting there which is the problem. And THAT is enough NOT to draft him in the top 10. If you can get him and know he's not gonna start for 2-3 years and you are convinced he will work his tail off while not playing for all that time and just focus on his craft, that's one thing. But the issue with his father, the icon/entertainment thing, when talking about his team he fails to mention anyone football related (family and his pr firm), and add in that he can't call a HS offensive play? Not very re-assuring. He is an extreme boom or bust guy and it's not worth that risk in the top 10 of the draft. Plus, he's got to learn how to drop back and when I hear him say stuff after the combine about not knowing how important timing is, it just shows me how far away he is. Awesome talent, but he's a project and I don't have a ton of faith about his maturity and work ethic when he's not the star.

Tebow playing well in extremely limited opportunities doesn't mean a whole when even his GM said if the season were to start today, Tebow would NOT be the starting QB. Doesn't sound like they think he's a franchise guy, does it? And the fact that Tebow also comes from a gimmicky offense and isn't ready to start by year 2 should show exactly what I'm talking about and Tebow DOES have the extremely hard work ethic and character going for him. Of course, Newton has a better arm, but I think you get my point.

And VY being a viable QB talent wise but not even being able to stay on the team that drafted him (and forcing that team to get a new QB at great expense or value) is an indication of how important the off the field stuff is.

And I don't know about you, but it looked like Newton was getting banged up by Oregon's miniature defense and Newton is less elusive a runner than VY.

His wonderlic is not fine, it is BELOW the benchmark for drafting a franchise QB (which is 25). Having a difference between 21 or a 16 on the wonderlic is not a measure of intelligence. If we aren't even keeping VY on our team, why are we going to go draft the same guy who is also a 1 year wonder, also comes from a spread 1 read and run system, has more off the field concerns but a better throwing motion?

I agree that Gabbert has his fair share of issues and is not a top 10 pick on my board, but that has nothing to do with Newton's evaluation. If someone wants to reach for Gabbert at 3 or 5, that's there problem. Doesn't mean anyone should therefore - in response - reach for anyone else.

IMO anyway.

BTW, there is a saying (which certainly is not alway true) that an apple never falls far from the tree. Considering his dad did some shady stuff regarding getting money for him to play AND assuming you believe Cam didn't know about it, that's not a good sign. When I hear the talk of being an entertainer and an icon, it shows to a certain mindset. To me, THAT is important when projecting a player will need to put 100% focus on football and developing his craft over the next few years.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar