iHate iPhoto '08

Discussion in 'Gear' started by avvie, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Why here? the Mac forums are down.

The new iPhoto seems like a nice application. Unfortunately, they designed it to MAKE YOUR PHOTOS INACCESSABLE!!:grrr:

Yes, you heard me right.

I use web-based mail. When I want to send a photo, I click "attach" and a drop-down appears, and i select the picture...no problem.

Not so with '08. When the drop-down appears, the file hierarchy stops at "iPhoto library"...no files available.

So what is Apple's solution to this? "You're not supposed to do it that way...you never were! Instead, do this:
    -select your picture from the iPhoto GUI.
    -create alias on desktop
    -when attaching, browse desktop for that file
    -attach
    -send
    -after sending, put alias in trash.
    -Repeat for every attachment from now until eternity, because we're not fixing it, because it's not broken."

WTF?? Make a copy, mail a copy of the copy, then throw the copy away?

If you can find the pic in the first place. iPhoto assumes that I name every friggin picture I take. But the info bar doesn't give the picture's full name if it happens to be "0263679-R1-035.jpg", so when i finally find the general area where it might be, i have to click on EVERY FILE to see the thumbprint and find the picture.

Also, it used to be very easy to find a picture by it's date. When I empty a camera, it imports in numerical order: img 001, img002, img 003, etc. Thefile is stored the same way. this way, I may have dozens of "img001", but different creation dates, so they're different pictures.
    Not so any longer. Now they're stored not by date, but by roll number :eek: HOW THE *&^%# DO I KNOW WHAT ROLL THE PICTURE IS ON????

I have to get on the forums to undue this horrible, horrible mess. :irked:

2. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

So much for "It just works!"

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

hey Avvie
    real simple solution
    just grab the pic out of the album and drag it into your mail

also,...... be aware of where pics are stored in your "Pictures" folder in Finder ... then you can just go to the pics in their storage instead of running iPhoto (which frankly slows my roll - cpu hog)

4. Can't you tell what date the roll (folder) was imported on?

I've set up my clients to just drag the photo to a folder on the desktop to use for purposes like this. And that was with the old version of iPhoto. It's not that cumbersome. But I'll admit it could be easier.

5. avvie

Puck, the thing is, I have to run iphoto to see the photo I want and get it's file name/date. The new version eliminates that ability. i can't see all of the file name, and it's sorted by roll instead of by date.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

????

Finder
    Pictures
    iPhoto Library

(voila) you should be in todays pics
    if you view FInder in column view,... it will even show you the preview

also,...... not sure how '08 works ... but you can label new "rolls" any name of your choosing at the time of import ........

does it not do that
    can you not find pics in the above process ?

I understand you need to run iPhoto, but can you drag pics out onto new messages ?
    if not, I would suggest uninstalling iPhoto '08 and re-installing your previous version of iPhot via your Install Disc's

when all else fails .... I always use the HELP function :yes:

7. avvie

The new version does not do this anymore. It now goes like this:

Finder
    Pictures
    iPhoto Library

...and that's it. the remainder was removed because a few morons would accidentally delete their photos (supposedly).
    Not only that, but the support people actually say that "you're not supposed to do it that way"..see my original post.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yeah buddy I saw your original post

my point is
    ALL imported material is stored SOMEWHERE

go to PREFERENCES in iPhoto and see where they are going
    they have to go somewhere besides virtual memory

I see no reason as to why a much improved revamp of the application would hide the files from you like this
    I GUARANTEE you that
    IS NOT the only way to do it

anyway ..... did you try the drag and drop process ?

9. I knew one of those morons.

Maybe they just made the folders invisible. If so, you could use something like TinkerTool to show hidden files.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

furthermore ... why the hell don't you use MAIL ?
    you can set your POP server in Mail
    use Comcast email and have NEVER gone to the Comcast server to get it

if you set MAIL up for your earthlink account, all you'll have to do is click the (mail) icon in the iPhoto toolbar to send pics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar