If we want a pass rush we need a scheme change...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'm not sure what all this discussion is about. 3-4 teams across the NFL go to a 4 man front in nickel (passing) situations. The Texans for example use their OLBs as outside rushers with their hand down. Before Williams got hurt that was a role he played. The Ravens and Jets use two big guys at DT and 2 speed rushers on the outside. The Pats spend quite a bit of time in a 4 man front. Some 3-4 teams will set up in passing situations with only 2 down lineman.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

There's nothing wrong with a 4-3 front, but everyone thinks the grass is always greener on the other side.

The only time I wanted us to go 3-4 was when we had no direction last year. Now that we're back on track, I'm glad it's using a 4-3.

3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

He's not slow in thinking. He's slow in running. He's fairly quick, but not quick enough to force a runner into a bad angle on the edge. He was targeted all season in the running game. Maybe he can improve on that. Reaction time alone could make a difference, but would you want to sign a guy to a long term contract to a position where he has more question marks than at a position he previously played? He played better inside. I don't see how anyone could argue against that. We could definitely upgrade at DE as well, both sides in my opinion. Right now, Jones looks like a bad fit at DE.

4. JCBRAVE

No, you're right, he wasn't good enough this year to get a long term deal.

And he did play better inside, that's as true as anything.

He's not an awful DE by any means. People see low stats and assume the worst, he can be a good DE in time, maybe even as soon as 2012.

I believe the whole reasoning behind many wanting him outside at DE is so he could be available 15-16 weeks. He did that for us, now he simply needs to get a better feel for the position. Jones did hold up blockers allowing OLB's and safeties to scrape the LoS and make plays, Babin never did that for us. So Jones is good for something, and maybe worth a 1-year deal to prove he's a solid DE.

5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

We don't currently have enough speed at DE to successfully continue with the 4-3, is what I was trying to say. To my larger point, regardless of scheme, the D-Line needs upgraded. Go to 3-4, we're looking at OLB. Stick with the 4-3, DE needs to be upgraded.

The reason I'm talking about the 3-4 (other than to stay on topic) is because when I look at our front seven, I see us at a bit of a crossroads where we could transition to a successful 3-4 with pretty much the same effort it would take to upgrade our 4-3 to be successful again.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

That's pretty much everything I already said. He ate blocks. Only thing missing is that he was terrible getting to the edge. My gripe isn't with his low amount of sacks. Nobody is going to get a lot of sacks when we're being run on, however.

I don't wish to see him gone. But if he is signed, he needs to be put in position to play well again.

7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

This guy gets it.

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

...except for the part when you need backups for all those positions, something the Titans already have for a 4-3 but have none of for a 3-4.

9. JCBRAVE

AND it WAS our depth that got us to 9-7 this year, keep that in mind. McCarthy didn't start the season, Casey didn't start the season, Babs didn't start the season.

10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

In the regular season they were 19th in stopping the run. Not awful but not great. The defense has been much better since the return of a healthy Osi U.

Osi, JPP, and Tuck are all guys that can beat single blocking on a consistent basis which is what you need to have an effective 4-3.

Gray last yr stated he wanted to get bigger across the front. My whole argument is that it is very very hard to get bigger across the front and still generate pressure. If you truely want to stop the run and generate pressure then the 3-4 is a better scheme to accomplish that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar