If we had a head coach who really saw the big picture..............

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bongo59, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

I think we should hire a playcaller....

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Bongo, I agree with you. The offense needs to call plays as if the score is tied or is close even if it is a blowout. No one benefits much when you are forced to become one dimensional with a rookie QB. Balance is the key to try and help VY's development and that is what this yr is about.

In terms of the defensive scheme against the run we are so basic that it is simple for teams to run on us. No matter down or distance it is the job of the front four to try and penetrate and get to the QB. This scheme makes it very easy for the OL to get to the LBs. All the Rb has to do is blow by the out of position/no gap control DL and they are in for a good gain because our LBs have OL on top of them. I'm also not sure if Schwartz has ever heard the term run blitz. I'd much rather have the job of our DTs be to hold up the G/C to help free our LBs to make plays.

Their is no excuse to not give young guys a shot to produce when the vet infront of them isn't getting the job done. I think this does more harm to a locker room than demoting an underperforming vet. Especially when you have a young team. You must be willing to show them that hard work pays off. This is another reason why I want to see us start extending young guys contracts before they get to their final yr. It is a great motivational tool to know that if you bust your butt you might be one of the lucky few to get an extension early and thus more $$$.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Our 6 losses were not all 37-7 type blowouts. In fact, we had a good shot to beat the Jets, Dolphins and even the Colts.

However, the players need to be accountable...just like the coaches do. It starts at the top. We can't fire the GM nor the HC during the season nor should we fire Chow during the season because we need VY to devlop during the year. However, we can fire position coaches and...more importantly...the DC. A message needs to be sent.

And this put guys on notice thing needs to be enforced. If you can't play, we'll keep trying different people til we find someone who CAN. Bench LT and give Fuller or Lowry a start....give Woolfolk practice time at FS too. If Hill stinks, bench him and give Finnegan or Woolfolk a start. When guys start losing playing time and go from a starter to a backup (who has to EARN a starting job), players will start busting their tails. Right now, if I was LT, I wouldn't be too worried. One good game in 8 vs 7 bad ones appears to be good enough to remain a starter on Schwartz's D. Yet another reason Schwartz must go.

I believe we have to go back to an offensive System closer to what we had with Eddie George in his prime and a young Steve McNair. POUND THE BALL and let VY convert 3rd and 2-4 yds. Goal is to MOVE THE CHAINS...giving us good TOP, the best position (rest and field position) for our D, and keep the score lower so we don't have to abandon our game plan and force VY to throw it 90% of the second half.

There are 2 statistics which have the best correlation to wins. Turnovers and carries. The team with the fewer turnovers usually wins. Teams that run the ball the most typically turn the ball over less. And teams that get 30+ (or the most) carries usually win. Pounding the rock works well for both of these strategies and will take a lot of pressure off of VY.

LenDale White needs a MINIMUM of 10 carries a game with another 15-20 from Henry (unless LT gets a start). I would like to see us get 30 carries a game (NOT including VY's runs).

Problem is...we can barely block a front 7 and if our run to pass ratio breaks 50%, teams will load 8 and 9 in the box and force us to throw. Of course, this is how you get VY to make big passing plays off of playaction or his feet. Plus, with all that run blocking tape, it'll be easier to see who on the OL is getting it done and who is not.

If we are down by 30 in the 4th Q, all young players should play if they deserve to play. This IS the time to get a Brandon Jones or Roby on the field IF they've earned that in practice. Same on D. This is also the time to pull our best players....can't risk Bulluck getting injured the last 2 minutes of a blowout game!

Until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs...we start the best players. If we are eliminated from the playoffs, we get all the young players significant playing time.

Gut

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I see I have been misunderstood. ;)

I have never cared for many of Schwartz's schemes as I don't many of Chow's. But I don't pretend to know more about football than either of these two people.

My "defense" of Schwartz is that he receives too much of the blame for when players don't execute. I assume he would again if his scheme went to a high-pressure defense and Hill and LT were repeatedly burned on big plays.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Hill has never ever been burnt in his life.

What blasphemy is this.

6. Sledge

Sledge Guest

funny how before last week Fisher was not the problem and we need to keep him. We played possibly the best team in the AFC after Indy sunday, a team that had thrown 2 shutouts at home already, and in pouring rain mind you. Sure, our D needs to be around the line of scrimmage more so backups like Garrard don't get all day to roam and gain first down on 3rd and 9 running the ball, but you also have to remember Fat Albert ain't there, Pacman wasn't there, and neither was Thornton, but for 2 plays. Hope wasn't able to head hunt as he usually does because he had to worry about coverage. Let's see what happens Sunday with Pacman in there, Thornton in there, and Hope doing his usual head hunting...

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I found the we are going to make the playoffs threads funnier.

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Right now there is no fear that Vince is going to beat anyone with his arm. Teams are loading up on us, which is shutting down the run. Without the run we lose time of possession and the defense stays on the field entirely too long. We aren't loaded with talent on defense anyway, and as someone pointed out, without AH, Pac and Thornton last week, we are helpless. We can only win games right now with either a high run production or turnovers. If neither happens, chances are we don't win.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I'm sure your right about Schwartz being damned if he does ,damned if he doesn't. I gave him a pass to some extent against the Jags because he had a lot of issues to deal with personnel wise.

It was interesting to hear Fisher say recently how we've been limited in play calling on the D because of some of the players we are having to start. Made me wonder just how much Fisher is involved in the scheme in game planning & Schwartz is probably left to run it by & large on his own once the game starts.

Me personally I'd like to see a change at DC. Chow I don't know if he should get another year or not. I feel we've been limited more on the O than on the D but it's a concern that Chow is a wiz an automatic transmission(college) but can't handle a stick shift (NFL).

Yes the buck stop's with Fisher & he has to be accountable but it's easier to change co-ordinators than a head coach. As I believe you yourself have stated elsewhere, a change in HC will set the franchise back at least a year on top of where we are now. A new HC would want to bring in their own type of players & put their own stamp on the team.

As we've seen this year with so many teams having new HC's it's not a quick fix by any stretch.

Herm Edwards is starting to do things with the Chiefs now after a shaky start but is he really doing any more than Vermeil would have? Sean Payton is the only new HC who's really done something but even that isn't a clean cut scenario. The Saints are over achieving & riding a wave of euphoria from unusual circumstances surrounding the team.

Armchair fans are the worst kind of critics & I'm as guilty as any of them.

Given the chance to talk football to Schwartz though I'd be humble & respectful & would try to make the most out of the opportunity to learn about his side of the game. I would though give him my opinion on his play calling & be confident that I could hold my own in an intelligent conversation about the game without winding him up. I know full well that he'd have an answer to every one of my criticisms & no doubt a reason why my ideas wouldn't work. :grrhee:

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I have read two quotes from Fisher which has questioned the ability of some of his players. And this just wasn't the depth. It was in general.

Here's an example from earlier this season:

"I think through the OTA’s you saw the personality taking shape. Again, I’ve never been concerned about the personality of this team. Talent level, yes, and ability to execute, yes, those are questions."

That's something I've not seen in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar