If we don't go QB in the 1st then when?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Playmaker, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

We can pretty much all agree Luck will be gone by the 8th pick and he's really the only QB I would take in the top 10. I really like Mallett and would not be opposed to taking him I just don't think the Titans will. So how many rounds do we wait?

Also how about trades?

If Carolina gets Luck then how does everyone feel about making a trade for Clausen? Maybe go after Kolb or Fitzpatrick?

If it was up to me I would go defense and OL in pretty much every round and if VY doesn't get the job done go for Barkley next year.

2. 24

24 Starter

Next year.

3. Moon1

Moon1 Starter

Waiting till next year is a big risk. The titans need to get a qb asap so they don't waste CJ's best years. We don't want to make the same mistake the Chargers did. LT was on his last leg by the time Rivers became dominant.

4. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

This is a great point...If Mallett is there you take him and let the process begin.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

There's ton of QB talent in this years draft. Hopefully we can get a 2nd tier QB in the 2nd round, that would be awesome. Keep in mind.. Mallett may not go pro.

1st tier (Top 3):
    Andrew Luck

2nd tier (1st/2nd):
    Cameron Newton
    Ryan Mallett
    Blaine Gabbert
    Jake Locker

3rd tier (3rd-5th):
    Christian Ponder
    Colin Kaepernick
    Pat Devlin
    Andy Dalton

If we don't draft a QB there is always trading or free agency. Kolb (who is overrated) or Orton in a trade is the most possible. I don't see Fitzpatrick being traded unless Luck falls to the Bills, which is unlikely. Clausen is horrible (58.4 QB Rating in 2010), he's not worth anything more than a 4th. Free agency? Maybe McNabb...

6. 24

24 Starter

If they believe Mallett can be the future of this franchise, then by all means go ahead. I just think we would benefit more from taking one of the other defensive talents on the board. I wouldn't mind taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd though.

7. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

Kolb to me is the epitome of a mediocre QB. He gets the job done with a very good receiving core but doesn't have the rocket arm that QBs like Mallett, Luck and Gabbert (who announced he was going pro today). I don't believe we pick up Clausen or Fitzpatrcik, too risky but can happen if we are in a bind come July.

Another possibility is Cam Newton, I know, had to bring it up. He has a plus arm and was able to excel in the Gus Malzahn offense but is his arm and understanding of the pro game good enough if he is forced to be pocket passer? I don't know if we take that risk again.

I believe the Titans should pick up Mallett if he is available, his mobility and ability to perform under pressure are his biggest questions but you can't deny that he has one of the most polished arms in the class, as well as a high football IQ. I say we risk it with Mallet if he's there, I see Ben Rothlisberger/Joe Flacco potential in Mallett and with the receiving corps we have now, even if you don't count Moss, he could have a big rookie year. The downside would be is that he can't handle pressure and the speed of the pro-game and would be an easy sack or a interception liability but I really don't think that will be the case with a SEC product as polished as Ryan Mallett, but we all know Tim Couch. However, if Carolina is willing to work something out, we should get Luck in two-tone blue, he is more NFL ready.

8. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I don't know why I'm getting my hopes up about drafting a QB. Chances are idiot Bud Adams keeps him around and therefore hires a coach who would actually want to work with Young. In an ideal situation we'd start over from scratch but everything I'm hearing today has me scared to death that the future looks mighty bleak.

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I don't think it's a good idea to pass on Newton.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

He was playing with NO WRs and one of the worst Olines in the league.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar