If we decide to replace Gray - I could go for this

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/rod-marinelli-could-be-leaving-chicago/

I was pretty vocal that I didn't consider Rob Ryan an upgrade and would rather keep Gray. Well, I never imagined Marinelli would become available and if he indeed does get released by the Bears I don't think there is any doubt he is an upgrade over Gray.

He'll never get another Head Coaching job, but as a DC he is absolutely top-notch and has had success everywhere he has been most notably in Tampa Bay and Chicago.

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I would try to land Lovie Smith first. Seems like he is not going to get a HC job this time around. How about if we brought in Lovie or Marinelli and then signed Urlacher in FA. Although he isn't what he used to be he certainly would bring instant leadership and attitude to the defense.

I also think that Ray Horton should get looked at closely if he doesn't land the Cardinals job. He comes from the Steelers lineage and has done a nice job with the Cardinals defense. What I really like about him is that he likes to run a hybrid defense that switches back and forth between the 3-4 and the 4-3.

I really think that Munch is going to stay the course with who we have.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

101% agree. Would LOVE this signing. He might actually like it here, why you ask? Munchak will likely suck and get fired next year. We have a young defense that he can turn around pretty easily, so he'll look good. His man Lovie Smith isn't getting a HC job this year, and will return next year. Rod coaches one year here, than go and reunite with Lovie.. solid fall back plan. However, if somehow Munch and Rod turn it around, and this defense dominates (which it can) Rod will get all the praise taking the 32nd ranked defense and turning them around. Could he then potentially get another HC job in a few years? Don't know if he wants that though. There are a ton of teams that could use a new DC, hopefully we can convince Rod to come here.

We already run the 4-3, and a 46 defense isn't far off of that. So he wouldn't have to get a complete new defense, we have some solid pieces, just looking for that playmaker.

[​IMG]

That's the "base alignment" for a 46 defense. I think we could strive in this formation with Rod as a coach. Especially if we could add Matt Elam. We'd have ZB in the WLB containing the edge with his speed and then in the SAM we'd have Ayers being able to rush the passer. The weakside DE #1 job in run support, containing the edge. That's exactly what D'Morg can do, his best trait is run support with Wimbley being a 100% pass rusher. We would need to get a 0-tech nose, but I believe that Casey/Martin could likely do the job... Bears used Paea in that role this year. Matt Elam struggles in coverage, but is an amazing open field tackler, he'd be lining up close to the LOS like a LB almost, which is perfect for him. Griffin is then our "ballhawk", which he CAN be. He has the speed and coverage skills, just is afraid of tackling, Rod will need to work on his angles however.

We would need to add a good tackling SS (Matt Elam, 2nd Rd?). Could we steal Henry Melton from the Bears? Other than that we just need some LB depth and DE depth and we'd be set. Potentially a #1/#2 CB if we're spending.

PLEEEEASE, MUNCH BE CALLING ROD RIGHT MEOW.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Anyone would be better than Jerry Gray.

5. JCBRAVE

Mike Munchak is smart enough to know he can't hire a good coordinator or he'll be exposed. Thats why he's sticking with Gray and Loggains, cause they don't know sh*t.

Could you imagine the wedge that would be created if Munch brought in a good coach? The players would instantly blow Munchak off and side with the other guy as soon as the turmoil came. And you know the losses are on their way next year.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I see the opposite, if Munch brings in good coordinators, it will make him look good. HCs get all the credit. Better coordinators = more wins = Munch stays longer

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

I think if Gray was going to be gone, he'd be gone by now. Who knows though, I would love to be wrong. Every morning, the first site I go to is the tennesseean to see who's been fired/hired/etc. or to see what Brit's done this time around. There's always that short moment of anticipation as the page loads where I'm looking to see "Gray fired"...

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I'd wait it out. Looks like the Cardinals might hire Bruce Arians and the rumor is that he wants to bring in his own DC, which would mean that Ray Horton would be looking for work. He'd easily be the best DC candidate on the market, IMO.

But this is all a pipe dream. Gray is coming back.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I heard Jim Wyatt on the radio the other day talking about this. Well, Blaine Bishop brought it up and Wyatt quickly brushed it off and said there is no way Munch would not hire a top notch coach out of fear of losing his job to them. But I wouldn't be so sure. Especially if you're talking about someone like Lovie Smith. Munch would have to know that having a guy like that waiting in the wings would mean his @$$ is definitely gone for anything shy of playoffs next year.

I'm not saying that would be the sole reason that kept Munch from bringing in a big name guy like that. But I don't see how anyone can honestly say it wouldn't be part of the equation. All of these guys are looking out for Numero Uno first and foremost.

10. JCBRAVE

So I guess Me, You, and Blaine know whats up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar