If not for the VY drama, would your opinion on Cam Newton be different?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GeronimoJackson, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Obviously there are uncanny similarities between the two QBs. Cam has the bigger arm and is a more polished passer. Some say he's the better runner, though I'm not sold, but Tebow has recently shown that running style can work in the NFL...for a year at least.

VY, the same spread QB out of college, was having success the last 20 games and looked to be rising even more and take his game to the next level.

This isn't a pro-Cam argument, just genuinely curious, for those who think Cam will fail, would y'all have a different opinion if not for VY's meltdown?

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I think VY looked more polished coming out of college.

3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

It works until DCs get film on them.. then the running lanes disapear.

• High Five High Five x 4
  4. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

not really... considering I didn't want VY to begin with... There were a few players I wanted at 3rd and I was pretty annoyed by the pick
    I admit, b/c of Vince, I'm a bit weary of Cam... after all, the whole drama thing is embarrassing... especially around all the steelers fans here

5. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

I was hinting that with that last "...for a year at least." bit :brow:

But in Tebow's defense, like Big Ben, film on him doesn't do that much good. They don't play with mechanics, they play like wild boars.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You mean "VY's meltdownS"? It was never just one event with Young.

There's a lot of similarities between Newton's and Young's college careers as there were with Tebow's. All saw much of their success due to running the football and playing in spread offenses. The same can be said of more and more of the QBs coming out of college. It's impossible to know how their skill-sets will translate to the pro game.

But there's nothing which makes me think Newton will have the emotional immaturity Young has.

7. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

No. When I look at potential franchise QB's I like to look at how are their intangibles vs. their physical attributes. Though I acknowledge that Newton is a physical freak and has the highest potential ceiling of any player by far it is his intangibles that make me nervous. Newton was kicked out of Florida for cheating, found to be in possession of stolen property (TBF it is unknown if he was the one who stole the laptop), and was caught in the middle of a scandal where his father approached teams asking money for his son's services (whether or not Cam knew is unknown but it is logical to assume he did). Then add in the fact we do not know whether or not his amazing season is something he could sustain or not and the fact that his success came in a system that did not require him to make multiple reads or play under center.

The only way Young has influenced my decision of Newton is to reinforce the fact that athletic, running QB's (McNair, McNabb, V. Young, S. Young, Vick, Culpepper, etc.) have shown serious issues with staying healthy and consistently playing 13-16 games a season.

It a moot discussion though because I doubt he makes it past Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and San Francisco.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I've always said that it was "VY" that did Vince Young dirty. VY the celebrity version of Vince Young was too much to handle early on. I think Cam the "icon" LOL, is going down a similar path. But Warren Moon is saying we should be looking at Cam so maybe the "icon" talks were just for the sponsors after all. Moon wouldn't set us up for more drama would he?

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Nope.

Neither guy has shown that he can read a defense. You can't win in the NFL unless your quarterback can.

10. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar