If I was in charge, which I ain't.........

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

If I was in charge, which I ain't, I would do things a little differently as far as these drafted rookies are concerned. Why would we pay millions for a young player who has never played a single down in the NFL? All of the children that will get drafted in the 1st round had great college careers. That's nice but rarely a guarantee of anything. How much money was wasted on Ryan Crying Leaf or Heath Shular? The list doesn't stop there. How many 1st round busts do the Titans have in their history? Paying all the millions to an unproven player, isn't this kinda like buying Futures in the Stock Market? Paid millions for Pacman and $500,000 for KVB.
    Anyway, here's my thinking. Why not set a price tag for each selection of the draft. If you get selected at number 3 or 300, your price tag is already set. Naturally the number 3 spot will get alot more money than the 300 spot, but you get the idea. Where you get selected will be your first year pay, after that, it all depands on your NFL career not your college career that will effect your pay.
    I know you are all in line to pick holes in this idea, so have at it!
    ________
    Buy Iolite Vaporizer

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I've hoped for something like that for a while. Football is risky business, but rookies should have to proove themselves before taking up that much room. There are maybe 5 rookies a year in the first round that earn the money they're signed for.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

That type of system is a distinct possibility on the next contract. The players are looking at a way to funnel more money toward the vet players.
    That system still doesn't assure a guy will not get paid millions and be a bust.

4. Yeah, I'd almost guarantee that the next CBA cuts down on these massive rookie contracts.

5. coltman18

coltman18 Guest

It seems like a good idea, but sometimes a good talent might not be right for the team that selects him.

For example, Bush was a great college player. He comes to Houston and with no offensive line, has three crappy years before being traded to another team, say Denver who can turn any RB into a stud.

So, now, Denver has a great RB for peanuts and Bush never sees the money he deserves until his 5th or 6th year.

6. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

QUOTE: "So, now, Denver has a great RB for peanuts and Bush never sees the money he deserves until his 5th or 6th year."
    This is were I insert KVB. He was cheap because of his knees. Now he has proven himself as an NFL player and one who can stay healthy.
    I like the idea of getting the number 3 pick, but it's going to cost us a fortune for an unproven player. You know how it goes, "I'm #6, I'm not signing until #7 does cause I want more money then #7 gets" and so on right down the line. Now we get to #1, #2 and #3. If #4 gets a gazillion dollars, our #3 won't be taking peanuts. How many players can we pay with the money we are about to give Young/Bush/Lienart? It would not surprise me if the Titans trade down.
    On the other hand, would a Show Stopper like Young fill our stadium again and be worth every penny?
    ________
    Chrysler specifications

7. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

It would put a stop to the all the greedy agents who hurt there clients and the teams by making them hold out for more money.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The NBA does something like that don't they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar