If his name WASNT Vince Young..would he get credit?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NYCTitanfan84, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

The quote above is something I wrote in another thread and after lasts nights game and reading some of the posts it got me thinking. Are there people who just take issue with Vince? For some reason Vince gets critiqued for doing the same thing many other qbs in the league do.

He played very well...and what are some people choosing to talk about? "he still cant throw" "several passes should have been intercepted" ! Lol ! Could some of his passes been better? Absolutely ! But you know what..if you watch every football game around the league..he was no more "inaccurate" then the average qb starting in this league. Matter a fact in that very game Matt Schaub threw just as many "should have been intercepted" passes as Vince.

I get the feeling with some it has nothing to do with his stats..or his throwing ability..for some they simply have an issue with Vince Young. Because I honestly believe that had some other qb thrown the same game Vince just did..those imcomplete passes would NOT have overshadowed what he DID accomplish last night. How about talking about that deep throw to Nate Washington that was PERFECTLY thrown on the run..which was dropped? Or how about running only when he needed to..and all the while still keeping his eyes down field looking to throw the football 1st? He consistenly was put in very poor field posistion all night and if he didnt score..he at least sustained drives past a "3 and out" which may not be significant to some..but its something we werent doing the first 6 games and it hurts our defense in the long run.

Fact is the guy has improved greatly. Is the verdict still out on him long term? Of course it is..but over the course of these next 6 games he'll be faced with different situations and we'll all be able to see how he deals with it. How will comeback..when he stinks it up? Or when the defense has a better gameplan for him? All great questions...but I cant judge that now. I can only judge over the games he HAS played and in these last 4 games and he's shown great improvement. There was far more positive then negative but...I guess for some..to give him some credit is just asking way too much

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

He seems to be getting a lot of credit from everyone now but thats how its gonna be. You play bad you get critcized and when you come out and redeem yourself you get praised.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. iQon

iQon Starter

I'm not one of those "fans" of either QB like a lot of people here. I support them on the field, equally.

So as unbiased as I can be, judging their performances. Vince is better because he's extending several drives with his legs throughout the game, and we are playing TITANS football. Fisherball, whatever you want to call it. I don't care if Kerry had great numbers in the air, it wasn't winning games.

For whatever reason, we thought it was safe to start airing the ball out this year and abandoned the run. We were too predictable (I guess we still are, but at least it's utilizing what we're good at). Now we're gameplanning to suit Vince's abilities in the passing game, he's executing that well; and as a result, everything else just falls into place on that side of the ball.

Vince will never get credit, but if he continues to mature and continues smiling in the face of his critics. None of it will matter.

4. NYCTitanfan84

Thats not what im talking about. When KC played poorly..there were many who would try and point out the positive. What he did well..or even going to the point of blaming others around him..they reached for that "silver lining"..which like I said is fine. But many of those same people..would rather focus on the negative when it comes to Vince..even though he played a very good game. When the WRs were dropping KCs passes we heard all about it...there were a couple of drops in last nights game..and all of a sudden the argument is "Vince should have thrown it better"

Its almost as if people twist what they want to suit their hatred for the guy. lol.

So what im asking is. If this was some other QB.."John Doe" who played these last 4 games. Would it be as hard for some to give him credit?

5. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

It's hard to say since "John Doe" would probably not be a #3 overall pick with a contract like Vince's, and that is a very important factor.

6. NYCTitanfan84

Yea I agree. For me..im not a Vince homer..but I support the guy. And I honestly believe that with the right support system around him (coaching staff that believes in his abilities and will gameplan for it) and his continued hard work..he'll be fine. But I had no problem with the move made last season to go to KC..he did a great job for us. But for these last 4 games...Vince is going a great job..wheres the love? lol.

But I have to agree with you in that there will always be "something" when it comes to Vince. I hope he puts it on his back and carries that "hate" while he keeps on improving and winning.

*I was just listening to Cortland Finnegan on First Take and he said that Vince has been doing the little things like "staying longer at practice" "watching extra film" etc... So hope he keeps it up

7. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

i still dont buy VY. people are talkin about his passing because hes a QB. even Steve Young said that being mobile is worthless if you cant sling it around in the pocket. VY has shown that hes at best mediocre at this.

and all the talking heads that like him, all they do is tell you his REGULAR season record.

ill wait and see if he can improve/if we can make it deep in the playoffs with him

8. NYCTitanfan84

Ok..fair enough. So "John Doe" is a #3 overall pick..and he has the same game Vince had last night. Please understand im NOT disputing his criticism of everything that happened last year. All im asking is..his played well these last 4 games..and has made a lot of positive strides. Yet SOME would rather focus their energy on the negative instead of looking at all the positive things he's done

9. NYCTitanfan84

But again..im not asking if your "sold" on the guy. Not asking if you think he's legit..if he's worthy of his contract..or if he's the future..or if he's a great passer. I said myself in my original post that he still has a long way to go in regard to his pocket passing..and he'll have more adversity to face..etc.. But again im not asking about that..just simply why cant some see what he's done over these 4 games and give him some credit? Why do people prefer to point out the negative and refuse to acknowledge the positive?

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I did like how Mike Ditka, Keyshawn, and Tom Jackson were picking Young to do well vs. Houston, and arguing with Carter on whether or not Young is the real deal. F-bomb Carter in his face for his Hoge like assessment of Vince. He showed you up huh? 4-0 isn't good enough? It seemed to be for the Broncos and their QB Mr. Carter. Why isn't it good enough for Vince? He's the real deal and the sooner people realize it the better off they'll be, but let them sleep on this man, because he will continue to break the hearts of the opponents. I loved it when Ditka called Hoge and Jaws out on national T.V., that was great. Ditka is a friend of Jeff's, and did have us to play in the Super Bowl last year, so him sticking with Young isn't a surprise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar