If Billy Volek Is The Starting Qb....................

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

btw, what veteran QB's are out there if we do happen to release Steve McNair, we need reassurance

Maddox?
    Fielder?

I like Maddox a lot.

2. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

The only way Volek has a chance is if our running game becomes really good really fast. I highly doubt that's going to happen. Volek starting = certain death for Titans

3. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

if he starts, get ready to see a good dose of the running game lol

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So. Volek has only started 10 games his whole career. Eli Manning has had a few of those games (70 QB rating) and nobody is going to give up on him yet are they?

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Volek is a potential problem, because frankly, he can be so good (as proven by his stats) that we could end up with a Philip Rivers situation in 2 years. Volek or Young. Young or Volek. At least with McNair, we pretty much know he's done in 2 years. But Volek has potential, so the transition to a young stud may not be so easy.

As far as Volek vs. McNair...I would tend to lean toward Volek having more potential than McNair right now and he could be the better playa. But honestly, Mason and Wychek made a difference for McNair. So it's not fair to to be critical when the team lost two of it main targets without replacing them.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I don't neccesarily think Volek is the long-trm answer but all the excuses for McNair last year, poor running game, bad OL, no big play WRs or go to guys, new system and OC, not to mention porous defense all should be good excuses for Volek as well.

McNair will not be any better, or will our record if we don't fix some of those problems. We will have two CBs who are not rookies anymore, a better safety combo and more athleticism at LB. Hopefully we can keep the offenses from running all over us again.

We signed a vet WR and Calico should be healed not to mention 2nd yr WRs that are healthy . Hopefully Henry and Brown will be more effective behind an improved OL. It wouldn't surprise me at all if our 2nd round pick was an OL or RB. Prior to FA it looked like we would go crazy for defense in the draft but now after signing KVB, a LB and S we might see much more focus on the O.

7. maximus

maximus Starter

Eli's last name is Manning, Eli is only 25. Billy V. is 28 or 29.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

And your point is?

9. maximus

maximus Starter

The reason people arent willing to give up Eli is because he is young and has a decade plus left to play(barring a major injury). Volek only has 3-5 years left in him. If you building a franchise, do you want a long term, possible hall of famer, or do you want a journeyman QB that is nearly 30 hasnt been a full time starter.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Again I don't understand your point. We are really only talking about Volek being a stop gap until the franchise guy is ready which could take a couple of years. As far as jumping off a bridge because Volek might be the starter is a little drastic considering the guy might do fairly well if he is the #1 guy and gets a chance to play. Basically he is not any more experienced than a 2nd or 3rd year guy based on the number of games he has started. 2004 was about the same as his rookie year and he did well. He only started one game last year. He has had a year under Chow and appears to have better WRs this year and hopefully the running game will be improved. If our OL, running game and WRs don't improve over last year it will not matter who our starting QB is we will be picking in the top 10 of the draft again anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar