I'd guess Pacman will sue the NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't think the NFL has the legal authority to suspend a player without pay for legal problems he hasn't been convicted of yet. Hell, they haven't even filed any charges yet in Las Vegas. The legal system was set up with the principle of "innocent until proven guilty".

Not only that, but the NFL changed the rules after his most recent incident. So the suspension arguably should only affect future incidents rather than ones that already took place prior to the new rule.

If I was Pacman, I'd sue the NFL for $50M on the grounds that it is illegal. And if he does, I actually think he'd win...

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I dont think he would win. He has broken league rules, so the legal incidents dont even have to be taken into consideration with the suspension. The commissioner could easily say that not disclosing past arrests is worth a year suspension. And unless there is precident before this with another player, Pac wouldnt have a case.

3. Yes, he broke league rules. But there was no precedent for a 1 year suspension. That was entirely based on a new league rule, one which didn't exist until after the Las Vegas incident and after his Georgia incident came to light.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Disclosing arrests to your team is a new league rule?

The legal system and government have no right how to tell a private business how they can punish their employees. Unless there is another recent incident of a player who didnt disclose an arrest, then it seems to me the league can punish him however they want at this point.

5. No, the 1-year suspension is a new rule.

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

So, what would be the proper suspension for this incident then? If it was in writing before hand, then there has to be a set # of games.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i thought the same thing, i just didnt want to start another pacman argument.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

On what grounds would he sue? The league suspending him isnt a legal issue, it is a league issue.

9. Based on past punishments, seems like a few weeks at most. When players break the league's rules on drugs, they don't even get suspended until the 2nd time they break the rules.

10. Lost income.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar