"I'd do it again if I had the decision all over again" - Jeff Fisher

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

So this 'terrible' coach has taken 2 terrible QB's into the playoffs in consecutive years :yes:

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

he was definitely an unstoppable force on sunday.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

You can't blame the players for not executing on an unlikely conversion.
    That's like being the Lions, and punting on 4th and 1 at the 30 up by 2, expecting your defense to hold up and win the game for you.

If you don't have that part of an offense or defense in your arsenal- the coach should know it. And he shouldn't expect the players to pull a rabbit out of their hats when they've shown no signs of being capable in the past.
    Dumb call. Dumber play. No excuses.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Exactly. I think a kick is risky there - if he was struggling from that end from 45 yards, and with that much time on the clock. I don't like the call based on how our offense was struggling (especially JMac)... but I do like the gutsiness of it. THIS is what so many people criticize Fisher for - kicking or going with a safe play instead of going for the knockout blow.

The play was there, McCareins didn't run it through (again). I would have preferred to pitch out to Johnson and let him beat his man, but I'm sure 11 guys on D were watching for that, too. That play didn't lose it for us - the game should have been long over by that point.

5. jdog

jdog I like beer!

I still think it was a mistake and that going for an easier three would have been a much better bet even if the field goal was a long shot.
    On the issue of Fisher admitting it was a mistake, show me a humble head coach and I'll show you a losing head coach.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

bull. Our d was getting abused and even making that kick with that much time would not have been enough. Kris Brown would have an answer all his own and the Texans would have gone up a point. If our defense would have been able to hold the Titans would have had another possession by using t.o's. Houston got the first downs they needed to be able to sit on it. We lost.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

look, we had a last chance to make a stop and force a punt.

instead we let Slaton tack on 34 yards at 1:55 and then on 3rd down with 1:32 Slaton picks up still another first down. The Titans had 3 t.o's to burn... which they did, but it was futile when the Texans just were running all over us. T.O's paired with a quick three and out gives the Titans a last ditch shot to steal the victory. Your argument is bull. Some of you guys need to listen up to Gunny and just get the hell over it.

The loss isn't really on Fisher anyways... a team that is good enough to win converts that 4th and 3. A team that is good enough to win makes the crucial stop at the last possible moment to set the offense up for a last second miracle. I can't believe what cry babies you guys sound like. Get over it. Maybe because of this the Titans will look sharp Sunday. Look for the positives in a loss. Quit hunting scapeGLOATs. It's pathetic.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'm in the camp with those that question the play call, but not the decision not to kick. Yes, he made a 51 yarder with the wind. Against the wind, we don't know what he could or couldn't do.

As for saying he sticks by his decisions, I know you'd all be happier if he got up there and said "I just didn't know what to do! I was scared and just closed my eyes and put my finger on the chart! Next time I'll ask someone else to pick a play!" However, head coaching doesn't work like that. Second guessing only hurts the locker room. I seriously doubt that any of the players have an issue with Fisher's play calling, or would doubt what he told them to do.

I understand the frustration at the end of the game, I was upset to. However, let's not get crazy and say that this was that terrible, or use it to question Fisher as a whole.

I agree with the analysis from above saying that the rest of the season and the playoffs will say a lot about Fisher's legacy.

If we won or lost last week, we still couldn't lockup home field without winning this week or next. Same thing today. We need to be able to beat the Steelers, otherwise we're #2 in the conference, let's get back to that.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Why do you feel the game was meaningless?

Had we won, we'd have a two-game lead over Pittsburg, which would've been a nice cushion towards getting homefield advantage.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I miscalculated. I thought we had to beat the Steelers anyway if both teams won their game. If the Titans would have won, lost to the Steelers and beat the Colts in the finale, they would still have HFA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar