I Want Mallett

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Big Time Titan, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Please just hear me out. I know I say some off the wall sh!+ sometimes but please hear me out on this one.

The biggest knock I keep hearing on Ryan Mallett is that he's had a problem with partying and drugging. But the more I think about the kind of QB we need to lead our offense, I keep coming back to Mallett.

We don't need an athletic, scrambling QB like Locker. We need a guy who has great pocket presence, has great accuracy and can make all the throws. Not to mention the kid has a cannon for an arm and towers over the line at 6'6". I have heard guys like JC bash him for his bad decision making but how can you not knock Locker for the very same thing. Not to say that Locker isn't a really good QB, just not the best QB for THIS team.

I can't put my finger on it but I just have a really strong feeling that this kid is the best QB in this draft and this bad stigma is being put out there by the team that secretly wants him to fall to them.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I actually do agree with you that he could be the best out of the bunch but with the history of our picks do we really want to take another player (especially a QB) with off the field issues? Have we not learned from Pac, VY, and Britt yet? Yes Mallett would be a better fit but I can't see us drafting another player high in the draft with character concerns. Also just because the guy has a big arm and size doesn't mean he has good pocket presence. Everyone knows if you blitz you easily get him and just one little hit takes him down, he's not physical even though he has good size.

3. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

I honestly didn't have a problem with his interview, he was just being real opposed to giving the boring generic Peyton "work hard, study hard" responses.

And the thing with the scantron was just funny. Don't see what the big deal is, every exam day, you have at least 5 kids come in and ask the class for an extra scantron.

He has a big personality, but like Rivers opposed to Leaf, I think he'll be coachable and would take the chance on him in the second if we don't go QB in the first.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The positives with Mallett is his size, huge arm, accuracy, he throws a lot of TD's, doesn't throw a lot of picks, and comes from a Pro Style offense. These positives are better than any QB in the draft if you negate the running factor. He appears to be a leader, certainly has a big desire to win, and likes to have fun playing.

The negatives are confirmed drug use in college (though comparatively, we have had guys fail the drug test at the combine and only drop half a round though they were'nt franchise QB's), he is iffy under pressure (tends to make a great throw or a poor decision) and needs an excellent OL and run game to help take pressure off him, has a lot of baggage floating around which I'm not buying, has a bit of an ego and a big personality (both good and bad), and for those that really don't like him....

The prior TWO QB's in that system are not even starters in the NFL and at least one of them put up BETTER numbers than Mallett (though he doesn't have Mallett's arm).

The thing you see and a lot of us see with Mallett is, you can see he's got the throwing package...canon, size, delivery, accuracy. Most of the QB's in this draft don't have that.

While I think Ten would be a good landing spot for him (due to him not being in a South Beach environment, having an awesome RB and a good pass blocking OL), VY's immaturity, Pac and Britt might make this a no go. Might also be a reason why some want a Gabbert or Locker because of how 'clean' they are.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I love Mallett, and have said multiple times he's the #1 QB I want. However, I do NOT want Mallett at #8 and I do not think he'll be available at our 2nd round pick. I would be happy with Mallett if we traded down to mid/late 1st round.

6. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Only in the second round will I accept us drafting this douche.

7. Big Time Titan

My thinking is this, we are almost certainly gonna take a QB in the 1st and none of them are worth taking at 8 so why not trade down to the mid 1st range and take Mallett. I think that he's gonna be playing with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove. That's the kind of player I want at QB.

As Gut mentioned, he'll need a solid line and good running game which we have. I think it'd be the perfect fit. And not just because he has a cannon arm or because he's tall. But because he's gonna work his @$$ off and he'll be coming into a great offensive situation. Jared Cook at TE, CJ at RB, Kenny at WR. I think this kid could really flourish here. I doubt that Coach Munchak is gonna take a chance on a kid with 'character concerns' so I understand that it's a stretch to think he'll actually be a Titan.

But we'll find out soon enough. The smart and safe bet would be to take BDPA but I have a strong feeling we're taking a QB in the 1st. So why not take the best QB of them all. Again, that's debatable but I think that Mallett could do some real damage against the weak AFC South secondaries with the weapons we have.

8. RavensShallBurn

If we really wanted him we would have to trade to #14 (which would allow the Rams to draft Julio).

He could be gone to the Phins at #15, though I have him going to Seattle at #25.

I agree that Mallett has the potential to be the best QB in the draft... but so does Cam (and I think he'll be a backup at best). I don't think Mallett is going to put in the hard work necessary to be a franchise QB and he's definitely got some character concerns that we want no part of. He could have a few good seasons in the league.

9. Big Time Titan

1. This is what I'm kinda hoping happens. Because I don't like the idea of taking Fairley at 8 either which sounds very likely to happen if we do stay at 8.

2. I have to disagree. I think that all the negative criticism that he's getting is what is going to motivate him the most. I'm not a Razorback fan, I'm not an SEC guy. I just see him as being the guy who we could bring along to be our QB of the future moreso than any of the other guys.

10. RavensShallBurn

Kiper thinks that Mallett might fall into the 3rd round. What a tard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar