I Waited to Post this, to let the discussion Develop.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TennT1tan, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Aren't we all...... That's the way work goes. My company makes tons of money, while I have a bachelor's degree and get paid $9.25/hr. to keep it running for 8 hours per night myself. While I'm here, if you divided it out, this place makes hundreds per hour I'm guessing.

When My band plays at the bar every Wednesday night, each of us take home 50 dollars. The bar draws in hundreds extra because of us, generally. It sucks.

all in all: c'est la vie, and unless you own and operate a business yourself, you are NEVER paid what you're really worth.. if you were, they'd fire you and find somebody cheaper.

The point I'm trying to make is I WANT MORE MONEY.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I agree with the Mrs.

Every one needs motivation. And that may come if the form of compensation, leadership, tools, or a variety of other variables on the field and off. To think that everyone will give 100% when any one of those variables is missing ( and that includes coal miners ) is to lose sight of peoples need for motivation. If your supervisors don't have your back, you have a tough time having their back. It's human nature. It happens at every job. Salary alone is not enough to determine a level of productivity. Sure sounds nice to say it, sure would be nice to believe that, but will never happen anywhere or in any profession. Even people who go 100% need motivation to continue at that level.

So for some Titans, it's future compensation that motivates them.
    So for some Titans, they feel they do not have the tools to succeed ( plays )
    So for some Titans, they need Leadership to motivate them

The players will have your back if you have their back. And that has proven not be true in Tennessee, otherwise would we be in this predicatement?

So Management has seen a loss in productivity. Deal with it. Talk it out. Resolve the issues or the performance will continue to decline. Admit you have a problem and deal with it from top to bottom. Make some changes. Look at things differently.

"the true definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Eintein

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

In regards to the player compensation debate- the players collective interest is represented by the player's union. There is no egregious violation in the economic equation. It is the age old balance of power and value, namely, owners versus employees. There is no argument that the players interests and welfare are not being adequately represented as long as ownership negotiates with the players union. Don't forget the players strikes in the past.

This isn't a communist nation- these players choose their vocation which includes everything that goes along with it such as occupational risk and financial compensation. They are entitled to what the market bears in this system. In fact, some players are lobbying hard for "profit sharing". Personally, I don't have a problem with that as long as they take an active interest in promoting the game in a fashion that is productive for revenue generation. Obvioiusly, creating the impression that they are "laying down on the job" does not qualify as productive for revenue generation.

Having said that, I agree that there absolutely are motivating factors for players other than money. Hall of fame, SB rings, sense of being valued, etc. and these are highly personal and unique to each individual player.

Revenue IS the bottom line in the NFL. Fans like to see their team win, but only one team can be the champion each year. Fans (customers) are satisfied with the product if they believe their team has a legitimate chance to be that champion. Hence, the whole shift for parity with salary caps and draft orders based on standings.

When players appear not to give maximum effort FOR WHATEVER REASON, fans (or customers if you will) are not going to pleased with the product. Season ticket holders have "pre-paid" to watch their team's chance at a championship. There are so many disgruntled ticket holders angry at the Titan's organization because there appears to be SO MANY management errors so early in this season that removed the chance at a championship.

Now that the championship hopes are gone, the last bit of entertainment value watching the Titans play is to observe upset games, surprise performances by individual players, management decisions that indicate this year's problems have been identified and corrected and maybe even some type of model work ethic to demonstrate to the youth. Have you seen any of that?

Players need to play the game like they are being paid to play the game, regardless of "external factors". That is why it is called "professional" football.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Very good analysis.

Many of these players couldn't get a managers job at McDonalds and we should keep in mind they are playing a flipping game.

I'm sure the vast majority of us on these boards grind out a living doing the best we can each and every day and someone doesn't come into our office on a regular basis and blow sunshine up my skirt to get us motivated. For someone to even try to make this a motivational issue is cracked in the head. If there is one player out there who is not giving 100% to his team he should be benched and if he has a problem with that he should be cut.

Vince Young is a cry baby retard who thinks he deserves a free ride and the kid has been making mega bucks to stand on the sidelines looking like a clueless idiot. Meanwhile Chris Johnson who makes far less could careless how much someone makes off his jersey sales he is running his :grrr::grrr::grrr: off trying to win football games.
    This isn't about one person. It is about being a team. Preparing and playing as well as you can for the team is a huge motivator.

This team up until now had every reason to be as motivated as they could be because they still had hope of a decent season. Now they need to be motivated to stop making Sports Center as the joke of the week. But even more than that what I remember from HS football or any competitive sport is the SPORT IS THE COMPETITION.

If you are not out there to compete get the heck off the field. Even in a game where you are getting pounded you still look the competition in the eye on every play and say to yourself I'm going to kick some butt this play. That is being a man and playing the game like it should be played.

As for our coaches they have the deer in the headlight look. Get someone in here that has a clue. Someone who can relate to the players get back to the basics of playing sound football. Get these clowns out of here.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That's a loaded question but I'll try to boil it down as best I can. Most of this has been mentioned often in other threads.

The 10-0 start last season had a lot to do with catching breaks and playing a weaker schedule. I think the Ravens, Bears and Packers games could have all easily been losses. But the Titans stayed healthy and overachieved.

This year, all the deficiencies of the team has been exposed. I believe the Titans win at Pittsburgh if they get any kind of decent special teams play. The same goes for the Jets. So the loss of Chris Carr cost this team two wins, IMO. The Texans loss was on three plays where the secondary bite on play-action or had miscommunication. These were the most glaring problems but plenty of other problems played a role as well.

In the last three games, we've seen a very young secondary get exploited due to injury. The DL isn't generating enough pressure and I don't think the DBs were as good as advertised last season to begin with. That compounds everything when facing some of the better pass offenses in the league.

Offensively, Collins overachieved last season. Success in running the football kept the pressure off Collins to make plays and "manage" on the most part. The Titans defense and special teams often gave the offense a short field last season. A problem this season is this offense does not have the ability to play from behind. Besides CJ, they don't have a big play threat. And the OL, which was stellar last season, has been average at best so far this season.

Losing exposes many things. You mention coaching and there is plenty of blame to share here as well. Dinger hasn't had answers for the blitz. Cecil seems lost at times. Fisher overestimated the abilities of his rookies and appears to be able to keep his team motivated once things turn sour on the field.

So, to answer your question, EVERYTHING is different though the personnel is almost identical. Everything went right last season and the opposite has been the case so far this season.

• High Five High Five x 4
  6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Yep, and he's making himself look worse and worse with each passing week.
    He's starting to look more and more like Officer Barbrady from Southpark...
    "Move along. Nothin' to see here!'

True, but Vince needs to stop throwing picks too.

Bud forcing Fish to start Vince won't be enough. Bud needs to not only force Fish to start Vince, but also force him to ditch the playbook for Collins and open it up for Vince.
    Meaning, that Fish should still be on the hot seat if he starts Vince but puts him in a situation where it's obvious to everyone that he's going to fail....that's not fair to Vince.
    If Vince fails, at least I would like to see him fail in a situation where he is set up to succeed, not one where he will fail no matter what.

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Your statement reminded me of Peter Gibbons' pitch to the Bobs on Office Space. :ha:
    That said, sounds like you need to find a new line of work.

Either ask the bar mgr for more money (or a percentage of the income that evening. If he refuses, don't play there anymore. If you don't want to do either, then you can't really complain about it, can you?
    It's kinda like when a girl complains about her b/f/husband, yet refuses to talk to him about it, or break up with him. They lose their right to complain.

Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean better. Quite a few people find that out the hard way.
    Toyotas and Hondas are more expensive than Hyundais and Kias for a damn, damn good reason.
    Sure you're going to pay 5000 dollars more on average for a Toyota/Honda than you will a comparable Hyundai, but you're also going to get 40-50K more miles out of them with less maintenance as well.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I'm just making the point that everyone is underpaid technically... NFL players get paid a lot of money to do what they (should have) done for free in high school and college.

9. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

True, but it all boils down to supply and demand. That right there will skew any s.o.p. doctrines.

If your band is a hot commodity, you and your band members are in a position to ask the club mgr for more money. If you are easily replaceable, then that means you aren't good enough to demand more money, or the supply (other bands) is high enough to where you cannot demand more money, and you thus have to settle for the $50 each you get paid.

And if you don't allow yourself to get into (or more importantly remain in) a situation where you are grossly underpaid, you'll be better off.
    When I got hired on here @ Verizon IT through a company called Apex, their initial offering was pathetic...to the point of insulting. But since I wanted to work for Verizon and knew I could get my wage back to where it supposed to be for my field/position when it came time for a raise.
    Well it came and Apex insulted me again by offering me a whopping $.25.
    Well I put my resume back out and scored an interview with a health care company downtown(through another contracting company), and told Apex about it. Well it turns out that Apex had another candidate submitted for that position, and knew from what they had seen of my work with Verizon, that I stood a dang good chance of getting that position. That more or less would have not only left the Verizon position vacant, I would have turned right around and stole another potential slot they had another candidate in.
    They upped the $.25 raise to $2.50/hr.
    I tend to not let someone have me by the balls with stuff like that...at least not for long until I find some way to spin around and put them in that situation.
    The better you are at your job, the less expendable you are, and the more leeway you get.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea yea yea, football is a 'privilege' I get it (I really do now). But the problem is, for these NFL players they don't see it as that, and I don't buy it as that either (while it really is). Most of them have never held a job other than being an NFL star (ex. Roethlisberger). As young children these players (almost every single one) is handed the game of football. It isn't like they're deprived of it as youngsters and then long for it. Football is a game kids play, and fortunately we live in a society where the few lucky ones can make money from it. Let's face it, to be in the NFL your likely playing football for 10 years before you get a crack at the pros (making money for someone, but not yourself). It becomes a mission for these guys to achieve something. They see it as something coming to them. Look at a guy like Antonio Gates. He had little ambition to play football (he was a small basketball player), and is a football player because he can be. Do some of you who are saying 'they get paid millions so shut up and play' think Gates sees football as a privilege? He may say he does for certain reasons, but in reality he simply does it because he can. 99% of the league is made up of people who where told to play this game and do because they can (they weren't 17 with an electric bill when they first chose to play football, and made it their job). Just because every kids dreams of being in the NFL doesn't make it a privilege (to the NFLer's). Yea kids take interest in the game of football, but very few put in the time sweat and tears to make the NFL happen for them. These guys feel they've earned this right and it should be given to them (the millions).

I cant say I feel much different, when I played I manhandled kids in high school and thought 'well this is easy' and assumed I would be given a scholarship like many of my teammates before me where. Unfortunate for me I got injured at a critical time for myself and didn't get the Uconn or Boston College free ride I was looking at, and had to look at smaller schools as a walk on. That's when I realized the game isn't going to do anything for me. If I wanted to take advantage of the opportunities the game might provide I would have to embrace it as my worst enemy and fight for it daily (I wasn't doing that necessarily before). Vince Young is a good example of why these active payers don't see it as that (a privilege) at least the young ones don't anyways. Everyone knows you take things for granted until you don't have them anymore. When he was benched he shouldn't have gone off as some say he did (I wasn't there, so I don't know what really went down). Instead he should have thought 'well I am still making money as an NFL player', and some of you are mad because he didn't do that. He lost something near and dear to him, and I'm sure once he gets a real shot at starting again he will handle it different and help right this ship. I didn't mean to get off topic but there were a lot of 'privilege' type responses here, so that's my 2 cents on the game being a privilege.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar