I think the Titans may trade Scaife

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Define very consistent?

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

If a 2nd wasn't good enough last year and our 2nd is almost as low as you can go...they'll want MORE than that. If you consider Scaife to be mediocre, why would Pioli give him high worth when HE'D then have to sign a mediocre TE to a long term deal. If he doesn't want to sign a mediocre TE to a long deal, why would he give Scaife much value at all? He'd get him for 4.5mil....how does that help? So maybe he equates Scaife with a 4th rnd pick....which is equal to moving our 2nd up a bit in rnd 2...EQUALing a moderate 2nd. Of course, a moderate 2nd was too little last year...so why is this confusing that they'd want MORE!!!

So 2 backup players (or a backup RB and a mediocre TE according to you) and we get Tony G and a draft pick back? Maybe we can get their 2nd rnd pick if we give them a stick of bubblegum!

Well, don't you think TonyG considered that when making the statement in regards to going to another team...that he'd play for 2 years MAX...meaning he might just play for 1 yr.

How about keeping our D good rather than spending a 2nd for TG and then using our 3rd on another TE which would tie up a lot of money on Crump and TG and are we gonna carry 4 TE's (TG, Crump, Stevens, and a 3rd rnd pick)??? Not gonna happen.

Gut

3. reo

reo Starter

First off keeping 4 TEs isn't out of the realm of possiblities. I think they've done it before. Its kind of like keeping 7 WRs. Its not ideal but sometimes its the best way to go especially if 2 of those 4 TEs can play STs.

Yes, their original demand was a 2nd rounder and the Titans supposedly were fine w/ that but then they up'd the asking price and guess what. They didn't get it so its not a given that they're still asking for more than a 2nd. Prices do tend to fall when you don't get what you want.

Do I consider Scaife to be average? Yes, I do but does that mean everyone shares the same opinion or does that mean other teams can't see potential and think he can get better? nope. Fact of the matter is Tony wants to play for a contender. He doesn't want to play for KC anymore and Scaife was generally going to be considered one of if not the best TE in FA this year so trading for a young up and coming TE with an older vet that doesn't want to be there isn't out of the realm of possibilites especially if they're trying to rebuild and go young.

Do I think Scaife is equal to a 2nd rounder? Probably not. That's why I'd toss in Lendale b/c he'd fill another potential need for them since Larry Johnson wants to be traded too. THen they could trade LJ for more picks. Do I think LW is average? yeah, to say the least but fact of the matter is he's been a consistent starter in this league and gained over 1000 yds a couple seasons ago and had 15TDs last year. There's value in that. How much? I don't know but I think LW and Scaife together could probably equal at least a 2nd and get TonyG.

KC's new regime gets the chance to rid themselves of 2 potential distractions in Tony and LJ and they get to go younger while treating Tony w/ the "respect he deserves" And Tony goes to a team that they won't see next year unless both teams make the playoffs. They can also get picks out of LJ.

Titans get a proven high quality TE and they get something for LW instead letting him walk in FA next year.

And I doubt the Titans will worry about Tony only playing for a max of 2 more years. Bud doesn't have that much time left. He wants to win NOW and Tony would give them a very good chance of doing that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Titans are very active in trade talks this year.

I think its a win-win.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Reo...

Yes it is...especially if we DONT get AH back!

The Titans won't be the only suitors. Law of Supply and Demand...and TonyG is in DEMAND!

If TonyG is worth a 2nd rnd pick and is a perennial Pro Bowler...what is Scaife? Scaife in his best year has half his production? KC can get a better TE in rnd 3...so why would they equate Scaife with even a third pick...let alone OUR 3rd pick? If you think he's avg, why would Pioli OVER VALUE him? He's trying to rebuild...not load up the roster with mediocre players who are looking for there first big contract!

LenDale is a consistent STARTER??? He's our 2nd string rb...

TWO average players DONT equal a 2nd rnd pick...let alone a mid-2nd rnd pick. If he can do better at TE and RB in the 3rd rnd, why would he make this trade? He wants our 2nd rnd pick...period. But it's not high enough so you need to up the ante. If I were him I'd want our 2nd, 4th, and scaife or white. Reasoning is...to get to a mid-2nd, you need our 4th and another 4th which would be the player.

Only in Madden Football and in fantasyland are Scaife and LW worth Tony G. Especially when they BOTH would be up for new (and more expensive) contracts after this season. So would you give up our 2nd, 4th, and Scaife for Tony G for 2 years...knowing we used 2 draft picks (and you wanna use another on a TE) to upgrade TE while we have needs at DT (if AH is gone), WR, CB, OL, and CB?

Of course the Titans could offer Scaife and a 2nd for Tony G, but then you can forget about Boldin or Peppers or any other big name trade. And wouldn't a guy who's gonna play here 5-6 years be more important than Tony G for 1-2?

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar