I know I was wrong...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanpride, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

Pre-season or not... Young is not accurate and the regular season isn't going to change that. When everything is said and done... I hope Young was the right pick and I was wrong.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

4/11 - 56 yards
    11/19 - 125 yards
    6/10 - 96 yards

He isn't exactly innaccurate except for the first game.

3. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

You let me know what we can and cannot discuss on the board refernece the Titans'... I'm assuming pre-season was for evaluating talent, depth, rookie..ect. I understand there's a lot of elements that is taken into consideration... I just wanted a perspective that maybe I wasn't thinking about.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

dude, he's a rookie, it's preseason, he's play the equivalent of a game and a half and everyone knew he would be raw.

5. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

And don't forget several dropped passes, including the 60(?) yarder in game one.

I do really want to see Young play the whole first half with the starting defense in this last preseason game though.

6. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

Good point... I would have liked to see Young make that throw to Williams from the pocket though.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Talk to the O-Line about that.

But what's the difference where he makes the throw?

8. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

No difference... I just would have liked to see him make that read and throw from the pocket. I'm hoping we see more of a down field attack in tomorrows game

9. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

This thread is insane. Name me the last rookie QB who was good his first year. Anyone who names Roethlisberger gets 20 lashes because they obviously didnt actually watch him play.

Palmer? Didnt play.
    Manning? Sucked.
    Brady? Didnt play.
    Aikman? Horrible doesn't begin to describe it.

Seriously, who? You cannot possibly evaluate a rookie QB on his first entire season, let alone his first couple preseason games. That is ludicrous. What you have to evaluate is this:

College performance.
    Observation of intangibles.
    Upside.

College performance? He quickly progressed from a raw, virtually uncoached athlete to one of the nation's top passers, statistically. His win-loss record speaks for itself.

Intangibles? Best leader I have ever seen. He is already winning over the Titans. His teammates would run through brick walls for him.

Upside? See above comment about his coaching. He got zero before he came to college. His high school's uniforms looked homemade; Houston Madison never goes anywhere, and he took them within a breath of the state finals. At Texas, the QB coaching is average and nothing more. He shot up the learning curve and quickly began looking like he did in HS: like he is playing ice hockey and he is the only one with skates. I expect a similar period of adjustment to the NFL.

You know how Tedford's QBs always bomb in the NFL? They are very well-coached and, as it turns out, had largely reached their upside when drafted. That is hard to tell. They look great against college competition, but how much will they improve? I think VY has not reached his potential by a long shot. Everyone points out how he is raw. He faced the same disadvantages in college.

My opinion is the Titans will suck this year. I know that is not revolutionary. They lack players in a big way. But VY will learn quickly and it will soon become "his" team.

I dont know much about Cutler, admittedly. He certainly has all the measurables. But I do know this: i have never seen a QB dominate like VY does. It is literally in all phases of the game. No need to take my word for it. It will become obvious to everyone, or I will publicly admit to knowing nothing about football. I have never believed in a player so strongly coming into the league, and I have seen some great ones.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I hope so as well. But based on the other 3 games it seems unlikely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar